[NatureNS] Feeder Protector behaviour

From: Robert Stevens <rocks@xcountry.tv>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 11:22:00 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Larry,
This happens every year about this time just before the male fly south. Food sources are relatively scarce at this time of year so the males, which leave early, protect any food source in their area so as to maximize their calorie intake for the journey. After they leave, the females and young can stoke up hassle free.
The food demand on a limited resource is spread out over time to the benefit of the population as a whole.
Bob Stevens