[NatureNS] NatureNS Gannets Halifax Harbour

From: Pat McKay <ah205@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 22:12:46 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--047d7b2ed95173b14604c76bddd4

On 16 August 2012 18:41, <ulli@dunlin.ca> wrote:

> ,Hi Folks,
>
> I took the harbour cruise, aka ferry, this morning from Dartmouth to
> Halifax.
> There were at least 20 Gannets, both adults and imm., swimming, diving,
> and flying between
> Georges Island and the first bridge.
>
> Ulli

Hello Folks,

As well as the alive Gannets, I can also see a dead Gannet, which has been
on the new breakwater built for the King's Wharf development in Downtown
Dartmouth for the past week.
This new breakwater is looking like a promising site for birders to keep an
eye on. Apart from the dead Gannet, there have been flocks of Semipalmated
Plovers there most days this week. I counted at least 70 of this species
there on Monday (Aug 13th) and I believe there were more - the birds are
difficult to see against the stony background when they are motionless. The
birds seem to use the breakwater as a place to rest up around high tide.
DC Cormorants like to roost on the floating boom at the end of the
breakwater - there are usually about a dozen birds around most of the time.
Other species seen around from time to time over the past couple of months
include, Eider and Black Ducks, Common Terns, Black Guillemot, and of
course Great Black-backed and Herring Gulls.

Pat McKay

--047d7b2ed95173b14604c76bddd4

tr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:ulli@dunlin.ca" target=3D"_blank">ulli@dunlin.ca<=
/a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:=
0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">

,Hi Folks,<br>
I took the harbour cruise, aka ferry, this morning from Dartmouth to Halifa=
x.<br>
There were at least 20 Gannets, both adults and imm., swimming, diving, and=
 flying between<br>
Georges Island and the first bridge.<br>
Ulli<br>
ve Gannets, I can also see a dead Gannet, which has been on the new breakwa=
ter built for the King&#39;s Wharf development in Downtown Dartmouth for th=
e past week. <br>

This new breakwater is looking like a promising site for birders to keep an=
 eye on. Apart from the dead Gannet, there have been flocks of Semipalmated=
 Plovers there most days this week. I counted at least 70 of this species t=
here on Monday (Aug 13th) and I believe there were more - the birds are dif=
ficult to see against the stony background when they are motionless. The bi=
rds seem to use the breakwater as a place to rest up around high tide. <br>

DC Cormorants like to roost on the floating boom at the end of the breakwat=
er - there are usually about a dozen birds around most of the time. <br>Oth=
er species seen around from time to time over the past couple of months inc=
lude, Eider and Black Ducks, Common Terns, Black Guillemot, and of course G=
reat Black-backed and Herring Gulls.<br>

--047d7b2ed95173b14604c76bddd4--