[NatureNS] NatureNS Gannets Halifax Harbour

From: Richard <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 22:33:30 -0300
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--Apple-Mail-AC984A81-158F-40ED-B267-6B1F1B68C695

Hi,

There were many Gannets in the Harbour during the Tall Ships festival, almos=
t all adults.

Richard Stern
Sent from my iPad

On 2012-08-16, at 10:12 PM, Pat McKay <ah205@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote:

>=20
>=20
> On 16 August 2012 18:41, <ulli@dunlin.ca> wrote:
> ,Hi Folks,
>=20
> I took the harbour cruise, aka ferry, this morning from Dartmouth to Halif=
ax.
> There were at least 20 Gannets, both adults and imm., swimming, diving, an=
d flying between
> Georges Island and the first bridge.
>=20
> Ulli
>=20
> Hello Folks,
>=20
> As well as the alive Gannets, I can also see a dead Gannet, which has been=
 on the new breakwater built for the King's Wharf development in Downtown Da=
rtmouth for the past week.=20
> This new breakwater is looking like a promising site for birders to keep a=
n eye on. Apart from the dead Gannet, there have been flocks of Semipalmated=
 Plovers there most days this week. I counted at least 70 of this species th=
ere on Monday (Aug 13th) and I believe there were more - the birds are diffi=
cult to see against the stony background when they are motionless. The birds=
 seem to use the breakwater as a place to rest up around high tide.=20
> DC Cormorants like to roost on the floating boom at the end of the breakwa=
ter - there are usually about a dozen birds around most of the time.=20
> Other species seen around from time to time over the past couple of months=
 include, Eider and Black Ducks, Common Terns, Black Guillemot, and of cours=
e Great Black-backed and Herring Gulls.