[NatureNS] NatureNS Gannets Halifax Harbour

From: Pat McKay <ah205@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 08:24:10 -0300
To: Dusan Soudek <soudekd@ns.sympatico.ca>, naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--14dae9d24d3cf5836104c77467d1

Hello Dusan, and everybody,

No, you can't enter the breakwater at present. It is still a work in
progress, and on some days there are constant streams of trucks coming
along it to dump infill into the harbour. Of course the birds don't come on
those days. Lately however we have had a longish spell when no work has
been done on it, so the birds have been there. I am lucky enough to have a
telescope, and a condo which has a great view of the breakwater, which is
how I view the birds. However, you can get reasonable looks at it with a
scope or binoculars from the pathway which runs parallel to the railway
tracks starting from Ferry Terminal Park going towards Dartmouth Cove. Hope
that helps!

Pat McKay

On 16 August 2012 23:13, Dusan Soudek <soudekd@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:

> **
> Hello Pat,
>    are you able to enter the breakwater? It still looks like a
> construction site to me. Or do you observe the birds from the mainland?
> Dusan Soudek

Hello Dusan, and everybody,<br><br>No, you can&#39;t enter the breakwater a=
t present. It is still a work in progress, and on some days there are const=
ant streams of trucks coming along it to dump infill into the harbour. Of c=
ourse the birds don&#39;t come on those days. Lately however we have had a =
longish spell when no work has been done on it, so the birds have been ther=
e. I am lucky enough to have a telescope, and a condo which has a great vie=
w of the breakwater, which is how I view the birds. However, you can get re=
asonable looks at it with a scope or binoculars from the pathway which runs=
 parallel to the railway tracks starting from Ferry Terminal Park going tow=
ards Dartmouth Cove. Hope that helps!<br>

san Soudek <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:soudekd@ns.sympatico.ca"=
uote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc =
solid;padding-left:1ex">

<u></u>

 still=20
looks like a construction site to me. Or do you=C2=A0observe the birds from=
 the=20
FT:5px;PADDING-RIGHT:0px;MARGIN-LEFT:5px;MARGIN-RIGHT:0px"><div class=3D"im=
">
  <a title=3D"ah205@chebucto.ns.ca" href=3D"mailto:ah205@chebucto.ns.ca" ta=
rget=3D"_blank">Pat McKay</a>=20
s.ca" href=3D"mailto:naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" target=3D"_blank">naturens@ch=
ebucto.ns.ca</a> </div>
Thursday, August 16, 2012 10:12=20
  PM</div>
nnets=20
  Halifax Harbour</div>
;ulli@dunlin.ca&gt;=
  wrote:<br>
PADDING-LEFT:1ex" class=3D"gmail_quote">,Hi Folks,<br><br>I took the harbou=
r cruise, aka ferry,=20
    this morning from Dartmouth to Halifax.<br>There were at least 20 Ganne=
ts,=20
    both adults and imm., swimming, diving, and flying between<br>Georges I=
sland=20
  Folks,<br><br>As well as the alive Gannets, I can also see a dead Gannet,=
=20
  which has been on the new breakwater built for the King&#39;s Wharf devel=
opment in=20
  Downtown Dartmouth for the past week. <br>This new breakwater is looking =
like=20
  a promising site for birders to keep an eye on. Apart from the dead Ganne=
t,=20
  there have been flocks of Semipalmated Plovers there most days this week.=
 I=20
  counted at least 70 of this species there on Monday (Aug 13th) and I beli=
eve=20
  there were more - the birds are difficult to see against the stony backgr=
ound=20
  when they are motionless. The birds seem to use the breakwater as a place=
 to=20
  rest up around high tide. <br>DC Cormorants like to roost on the floating=
 boom=20
  at the end of the breakwater - there are usually about a dozen birds arou=
nd=20
  most of the time. <br>Other species seen around from time to time over th=
e=20
  past couple of months include, Eider and Black Ducks, Common Terns, Black=
=20
  Guillemot, and of course Great Black-backed and Herring Gulls.<br><br><br=