[NatureNS] Pied-billed Grebe and notes Re: Keji Seaside Adjunct

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 01:48:44 +0000

--_f1f6ada6-604d-45a9-ace9-f7f9281cfe32_

A pied-billed grebe was reported to me today from Steven Hiltz at Back Cent=
re=2C Lun. Co.
=20
There was a small hawk flight today at Keji Seaside adjunct.  There were tw=
o red-tailed hawks and three broad-winged hawks.  The thing that puzzles me=
 about the broad-wings is something that I've not seen in any guides and so=
mething that I've seen on quite a few occassions now.  There is a white bar=
 down through the middle of the upper right wing.  I noticed this on all th=
ree birds.  Maybe I mis-identified them.  Is there someone that can shed so=
me light on this.  Are they possibly molting and as a result the white patc=
h showing in flight? =20
=20
I'll send a list of birds seen later on.  I did not spend much time or effo=
rt on St. Catherines Beach and did not go very far out.  I saw some peeps b=
riefly and did get a number of shorebirds=2C including one whimbrel.  I cou=
ld hear others calling.  Three boats were harvesting irish moss=2C so that =
kept seals off the rocks and the birds on the move on the water.  There wer=
e lots of painted ladies=2C probably about thirty.  I did see one monarch=
=2C a cabbage white and one other butterfly=2C but they did not pose for ph=
otos=2C other than the painted ladies.  There was one large darner=2C but i=
t was moving quick and did not settle.  There was also one of the blue dams=
elflies=2C but a smaller one.  Canadian goldenrod and cotton grass was at a=
 number of locations along the trail.  Also=2C in the pond=2C along the tra=
il on the way in=2C the stagnent one=2C where I believe there was once a dw=
elling or a well there were bullfrogs.  I believe that this is the first ti=
me that I've seen bullfrogs there. =20
=20
James R. Hirtle
Bridgewater
=20
  		 	   		  =

--_f1f6ada6-604d-45a9-ace9-f7f9281cfe32_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Tahoma
}
--></style></head>
A pied-billed grebe was reported to me today from Steven Hiltz at Back Cent=
re=2C Lun. Co.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
There was a small hawk flight today at Keji Seaside adjunct.&nbsp=3B There =
were two red-tailed hawks and three broad-winged hawks.&nbsp=3B The thing t=
hat puzzles me about the broad-wings is something that I've not seen in any=
 guides and something that I've seen on quite a few occassions now.&nbsp=3B=
 There is a white bar down through the middle of the upper right wing.&nbsp=
=3B I noticed this on all three birds.&nbsp=3B Maybe I mis-identified them.=
&nbsp=3B Is there someone that can shed some light on this.&nbsp=3B Are the=
y possibly molting and as a result the white patch showing in flight?&nbsp=
=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
I'll send a list of birds seen later on.&nbsp=3B I did not spend much time =
or effort on St. Catherines Beach and did not go very far out.&nbsp=3B I sa=
w some peeps briefly and did get a number of shorebirds=2C including one wh=
imbrel.&nbsp=3B I could hear others calling.&nbsp=3B Three boats were harve=
sting irish moss=2C so that kept seals off the rocks and the birds on the m=
ove on the water.&nbsp=3B There were lots of painted ladies=2C probably abo=
ut thirty.&nbsp=3B I did see one monarch=2C a cabbage white and one other b=
utterfly=2C but they did not pose for photos=2C other than the painted ladi=
es.&nbsp=3B There was one large darner=2C but it was moving quick and did n=
ot settle.&nbsp=3B There was also one of the blue damselflies=2C but a smal=
ler one.&nbsp=3B Canadian goldenrod and cotton grass was at a number of loc=
ations along the trail.&nbsp=3B Also=2C in the&nbsp=3Bpond=2C along the tra=
il on the way in=2C the stagnent one=2C where I believe there was once a dw=
elling or a well there were bullfrogs.&nbsp=3B I believe that this is the f=
irst time that I've seen bullfrogs there.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Bridgewater<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR> 		 	   		  </div></body>

--_f1f6ada6-604d-45a9-ace9-f7f9281cfe32_--