[NatureNS] Bald Eagle kills Great Blue Heron

From: "Paul S. Boyer" <psboyer@eastlink.ca>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 12:31:54 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Our resident Great Blue Heron was killed Saturday by a Bald Eagle.  The eagle was seen flying away from the scene carrying the trunk and dangling legs of the heron.  We located a large pile of feathers, and found floating nearby the wings, neck, and head.  I had photographed this heron just a few hours earlier, as it perched in its habitual spot in a spruce tree.  Apparently, when the tide went out, the heron moved to its usual fishing grounds nearby, where we found the feathers.  There is at least one eagle roosting-tree about 1.6 km away.
[Seabright, HRM, NS]