[NatureNS] Wasp/Beetle?

Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 06:27:16 -0300
From: David McCorquodale <dbmcc09@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--f46d0434bfde9ee0eb04c7af1dfd

One possibility is a broad-headed bug (Alydidae).  A common species in old
fields in Nova Scotia appears all black, until it flies. Then the bright
reddish abdomen is obvious.

A photo is here:  http://bugguide.net/node/view/243503/bgpage

DBMcC

On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 10:27 PM, James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>wrote:

>  Hi all:
>
> I tried to get a picture of a wasp/beetle that I saw at Keji Seaside
> Adjunct Yesterday.  It took off and went deep into some foilage before I
> could snap the shutter.  I've not seen this particular beast before.  It
> was very large, about 1 in or close to it.  All black, but very thin with a
> bright orange abdomen.  In some ways it reminded me of a fake wasp, but in
> other respects of a large bettle of some sort.  Any ideas from those with
> an insect background?
>
> James R. Hirtle
> Bridgewater

--f46d0434bfde9ee0eb04c7af1dfd

One possibility is a broad-headed bug (Alydidae). =A0A common species in ol=
d fields in Nova Scotia appears all black, until it flies. Then the bright =
=3D"http://bugguide.net/node/view/243503/bgpage">http://bugguide.net/node/v=
iew/243503/bgpage</a></div>
ail_quote">On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 10:27 PM, James Hirtle <span dir=3D"ltr"=
>&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jrhbirder@hotmail.com" target=3D"_blank">jrhbirder@h=
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">

Hi all:<br>
=A0<br>
I tried to get a picture of a wasp/beetle that I saw at Keji Seaside Adjunc=
t Yesterday.=A0 It took off and went deep into some foilage before I could =
snap the shutter.=A0 I&#39;ve not seen this particular beast before.=A0 It =
was very large, about 1 in or close to it.=A0 All black, but very thin with=
 a bright orange abdomen.=A0 In some ways it reminded me of a fake wasp, bu=
t in other respects of a large bettle of some sort.=A0 Any ideas from those=
 with an insect background?<br>

=A0<br>
James R. Hirtle<br>

--f46d0434bfde9ee0eb04c7af1dfd--