[NatureNS] Ragged Harbour through Brooklyn Yesterday

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2012 12:58:51 +0000

--_ba9a892b-b743-4f18-aada-709b49ff5c6a_

One of the most interesting things that I observed was hundreds of painted =
ladies.  More than I've ever seen before.  One spot was especially alive wi=
th them.  It was near the ocean at Ragged Harbour=2C but on a patch of part=
ial lawn and mud.  Thirty of these butterflies rose up which had been space=
d about an inch apart.  It was amazing.  I did not take a photo=2C as the o=
ther not so nice part about this experience was hords of mosquitos.  More t=
han I've seen in any place in years.  At that particular point I could hard=
ly see through the swarms of these little vipers about me.  Needlessly to s=
ay=2C I made a quicker than I wanted to exit from that area.  The mosquitos=
 were bad all over Ragged Harbour.  This is the only area in my travels tha=
t day that they actually bothered me or that I was aware of them. =20
=20
The other plentiful butterfly for the day was cabbage whites.  There was a =
sulphur about as well=2C but I did not get any photos to determine which on=
e. =20
=20
As per birds I had a merlin and whimbrels with other shorebirds at Ragged H=
arbour.  I'll send a detailed ebird posting once I get the chance.  I saw a=
 northern harrier at East Berlin.  Land birds were scarce=2C but I did find=
 one nice group of migrants near the start of Beach Meadows.  I went from o=
ne warbler species=2C the Common Yellowthroat to seven.  So with the group =
was a blue-headed vireo=2C a red-eyed vireo=2C four northern parulas=2C two=
 chestnut-sided warblers=2C two magnolia warblers=2C two yellow-rumped warb=
lers=2C a palm warbler=2C one common yellowthroat=2C three black-capped chi=
ckadees=2C a boreal chickadee=2C a red-breasted nuthatch=2C and a golden-cr=
owned kinglet.  There might have been more of each species=2C but it was ha=
rd to tell.
=20
I steared clear of Beach Meadows Beach as there were way to many people the=
re for my liking.  No parking at all as per cars.  No signs of the kingbird=
s that had been around earlier in the week.  =20
=20
James R. Hirtle
Bridgewater 		 	   		  =

--_ba9a892b-b743-4f18-aada-709b49ff5c6a_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Tahoma
}
--></style></head>
One of the most interesting things that I observed was hundreds of painted =
ladies.&nbsp=3B More than I've ever seen before.&nbsp=3B One spot was espec=
ially alive with them.&nbsp=3B It was near the ocean at Ragged Harbour=2C b=
ut on a patch of partial lawn and mud.&nbsp=3B Thirty of these butterflies =
rose up which had been spaced about an inch apart.&nbsp=3B It was amazing.&=
nbsp=3B I did not take a photo=2C as the other not so nice part about this =
experience was hords of mosquitos.&nbsp=3B More than I've seen in any place=
 in years.&nbsp=3B At that particular point I could hardly see through the =
swarms of these little vipers about me.&nbsp=3B Needlessly to say=2C I made=
 a quicker than I wanted to exit from that area.&nbsp=3B The mosquitos were=
 bad all over Ragged Harbour.&nbsp=3B This is the only area in my travels t=
hat day that they actually bothered me or that I was aware of them.&nbsp=3B=
 <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
The other plentiful butterfly for the day was cabbage whites.&nbsp=3B There=
 was a sulphur about as well=2C but I did not get any photos to determine w=
hich one.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
As per birds I had a merlin and whimbrels with other shorebirds at Ragged H=
arbour.&nbsp=3B I'll send a detailed ebird posting once I get the chance.&n=
bsp=3B I saw a northern harrier at East Berlin.&nbsp=3B Land birds were sca=
rce=2C but I did find one nice group of migrants near the start of Beach Me=
adows.&nbsp=3B I went from one warbler species=2C the Common Yellowthroat t=
o seven.&nbsp=3B So with the group was a blue-headed vireo=2C a red-eyed vi=
reo=2C four northern parulas=2C two chestnut-sided warblers=2C two magnolia=
 warblers=2C two yellow-rumped warblers=2C a palm warbler=2C one common yel=
lowthroat=2C three black-capped chickadees=2C a boreal chickadee=2C a red-b=
reasted nuthatch=2C and a golden-crowned kinglet.&nbsp=3B There might have =
been more of each species=2C but it was hard to tell.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
I steared clear of Beach Meadows Beach as there were way to many people the=
re for my liking.&nbsp=3B No parking at all as per cars.&nbsp=3B No signs o=
f the kingbirds that had been around earlier in the week.&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B <=

&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Bridgewater<BR> 		 	   		  </div></body>

--_ba9a892b-b743-4f18-aada-709b49ff5c6a_--