[NatureNS] wind power storage

Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 00:12:27 -0300
From: "Stephen R. Shaw" <srshaw@DAL.CA>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

The following is bit too detailed, perhaps, but ...
... the undersea cable problem was investigated conceptually I think
first by Lord Kelvin in the late 1800s. This is casually known to
later physiologists, because of the close parallel to nerve conduction
along 'passive' nerve axons (ones without nerve impulses).  In both
cases there is a certain significant capacitance per unit length, in
the cable because (as Chris says) there is a significantly thick
insulation with a finite dielectric constant, necessary to prevent
current from leaking out of the conducting core into the surrounding
sea water (at roughly ground potential).  In the nerve fiber, the
membrane around the nerve cell (or any animal cell) comprises a
molecular bilayer about 5-7 nanometers thick, made largely of
phospholipids. The dielectric constant of these lipids is relatively
constant, similar to olive oil, so all animal cell membranes have a
specific capacitance close to 1 µF/cm^2, pretty much a biological
constant (one microfarad per a one centimeter square of membrane
surface).

If a DC current step is applied between one end of the nerve/cable and
the fluid outside, the voltage inside changes quasi-exponentially to
the voltage of the source.  As it proceeds along the cable, the
voltage gets smaller because of leakage through the 'resistance' of
the membrane, as ions move through actual molecular protein channels
embedded in it.  It also gets slower, because the initial current has
to discharge even more capacitance as distance increases.  The current
flows both through the leakage resistance R and the capacitance C
(according to the product of the two, R*C), charging the cable or
membrane depending on whether -V or +V is applied.  The result is that
a signal (say +V) put in at one end of the cable declines inexorably
to background noise level over a certain definable distance, so the
cable or nerve would no longer be useful beyond that.  So capacitance
is a bad thing because it both reduces and slows down signals being
transmitted, and smears them out.

The solution is similar in both cases, to put a series of repeater
amplifiers into the cables at determined distances, to periodically
boost the signals.  These boosters are the nodes of Ranvier in
vertebrate myelinated nerve fibers, or a continuous 'doping' of active
channels into the unmyelinated giant nerve axons of Loligo pealii
mentioned recently. Invertebrates missed out on 'discovering'
myelination.  In squid axons, a large fraction of the current flowing
down the inside of the axon is used to discharge the
already-charged-up membrane capacitance, so the influence of
capacitance in slowing signal transmission is a very important factor
limiting impulse conduction velocity.

A complementary 'clever trick' vertebrate axons use is to have up to
~100 accessory myelin membranes wind around the axon, which does two
things. It increases the leakage resistance by a factor of ~100, but
less widely appreciated, it decreases the capacitance per unit length
by the same factor.  Much less charge is then needed to discharge the
lowered capacitance by the advancing impulse, so a boosted impulse can
'jump' from node 1 to node 2 etc much more quickly than otherwise.  As
a result, vertebrate axons only 10 microns in diameter use much less
ATP energy to conduct ~6 times faster that squid axons even 500
microns in diameter, cutting central costs more that even Harper
dreamed about.

I'm less sure about the limitations of a copper cable suspended in air
at least several inches from the nearest ground reference (present
close to the insulators, on the metal pylons).  In this case, the
capacitors must be large air gaps with consequently very little
capacitance. At a very low frequency of 50-60 hertz in AC
transmission, I imagine that capacitative losses are relatively small,
but this could be wrong.  Most losses presumably would come because
even a copper cable has a very significant resistance to current owing
to the large distances it covers, plus the inevitable losses caused by
the current heating the cable.  In any case, as Dave Webster says, the
capacitance must be very small, so charging it to a certain voltage
won't recover much charge if the cable is then allowed to discharge.
Steve (Hfx)

  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Quoting David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>:

> Hi Chris, Steve & All,                        Aug 30, 2012
>     Yes the capacitance of the cable would store electricity but
> (and here I venture onto thin ice) the magnitude of this storage
> would be vanishingly small.
[agreed]

>     From here onward the ice is even thinner--
>     As a first approximation, when the DC source is removed then the
> voltage between the two ends of the cable would not decrease to zero
> immediately but would fall asymptotically as charge is drained from
> the coaxial sheath.
[you'd normally charge the inside at one end relative to the nearby
juice outside, not between the two ends]

>     The charge delivered to the destination/sec, before removal of
> the DC source, would be roughly 3 x 10^10 times as great as the
> charge delivered by discharge of the cable.
[when the cable is charged at one end as above, the time course is not
exactly exponential because the capacitance is distributed along the
cable, and is governed by a more complicated 'bent' function (an error
function, concocted from a series of exp functions).  The discharge
process is the complementary function.]