[NatureNS] Northern Goshawk in Kejimkujik National Park

From: Patrick Kelly <patrick.kelly@dal.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 21:09:14 -0300

for the memori

--Apple-Mail-153--784233124

I'm glad that I was able to bring back some memories. You are correct,
it is campsite 5 and I walked past it on the way back. The water in
Stlll Brook was so low I walked over it in one step! In fact, it
looked more like a man-made path had been made in the rocks as they
were quite high on either side of the channel. Still, there was no way
even a kayak would have slipped through that day.

I didn't have much chance to explore up or down Stewart Brook, but
there was clearly a large opening in the canopy upstream a short way
as the sun was shining in over a large patch of tall grass(?) on the
east side of the water.

For those that don't have it already, I highly recommend getting a
copy of the Backcountry Guide for the park. It has a great map is
either plastic or laminated somehow to be waterproof. None of the maps
at the Kejimkujik web site identify the location or numbers of the
backcountry campsites, which you need to know as you have to call them
to reserve them. I picked up my copy at Mountain Equipment Coop on
Granville Street.

Pat

On Sep 5, 2012, at 8:08 AM, Paul MacDonald wrote:

> Hi Pat
> Great report - I enjoyed it!
> A number of years ago when I traveled more in that area
> a Goshawk used to nest along Still Brook just above where you
> portaged -
> I think its camp site 5? She didn't like canoes and would give you a
> hard time
> as you paddled along. She made lots of sound and was reputed to have
> blooded
> heads but only resorted to verbal abuse with me!
> The small brook that flows past the camp site is Stewart Brook - a
> very interesting brook
> to explore. There is a nice still water a little farther up and lots
> of fun things. I've visited
> it many times and spent some nice times there. Thanks for the
> memories.
> If we get some rain I may do a canoe trip around the loop - I'd sooner
> paddle than carry.
> Have a nice fall
> Paul

=
=
Patrick Kelly
Director of Computer Facilities
=
=
Faculty of Architecture and Planning
Dalhousie University
=
=
MAIL                                   COURIER
PO Box 15000                           5410 Spring Garden Road
Halifax, Nova Scotia B3H 4R2           Halifax, Nova Scotia
Canada                                 Canada
=
=
Phone:(902) 494-3294    FAX:(902) 423-6672   E-mail:patrick.kelly@dal.ca
=
=

--Apple-Mail-153--784233124

-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">I'm glad that I was able to =