[NatureNS] Brier Island Birds - September 3-September 7

From: Lance Laviolette <bibmrs@hotmail.com>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 20:07:51 -0300

--_337dee43-6988-4198-bef1-817f8b04ded2_

Hi Everyone=2C
=20
Following close on the heels of Wednesday's heavy rain and strong west wind=
s was an unsual midday movement of migrants. For the most part this consist=
ed of similar species to those we've been seeing the past three weeks thoug=
h the numbers of NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH have started to decline and the numbe=
rs of some other species that haven't been seen much=2C such as BLACKPOLL W=
ARBLER=2C are starting to increase. COMMON YELLOWTHROAT has consistently li=
ved up to its name and been common.
=20
Two uncommon species seen yesterday (Thursday) were a WHITE-EYED VIREO at N=
orth Point and a LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL at Pond Cove.
=20
My final comment on an early versus late migration this year is this. We ha=
ve some more sightings of birds that are earlier than expected however=2C w=
e haven't seen a large scale shift in the migration timing of any of these =
species. For example=2C the very early Blue-headed Vireo sighting from two =
weeks ago remains the only bird of this species we've seen. The jury is sti=
ll out on some species that have been strangely absent (i.e. Nashville Warb=
ler and Northern Parula). Did they move south in early August? Are they rai=
sing a second brood as a result of the excellent summer conditions? Convers=
ely=2C has this been a bad year for them?=20
=20
Our impression remains that there is some early movement taking place for s=
ome species but most of the birds we've encountered on Brier Island the pas=
t three weeks are heading south at the time expected.=20
=20
All the best=2C
=20
Lance
=20

=20

  		 	   		  =

--_337dee43-6988-4198-bef1-817f8b04ded2_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Tahoma
}
--></style></head>
Hi Everyone=2C<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Following close on the heels of Wednesday's heavy rain and strong west wind=
s was an unsual midday movement of migrants. For the most part this consist=
ed of similar species to those we've been seeing the past three weeks thoug=
h the numbers of NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH have started to decline and&nbsp=3Bth=
e numbers of some other species that haven't been seen much=2C such as BLAC=
KPOLL WARBLER=2C&nbsp=3Bare starting to increase. COMMON&nbsp=3BYELLOWTHROA=
T has consistently lived up to its name and been common.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Two uncommon species seen yesterday (Thursday) were a WHITE-EYED VIREO at N=
orth Point and a LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL at Pond Cove.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
My final comment on an early versus late migration this year is this. We ha=
ve some more sightings of birds that are earlier than expected however=2C w=
e haven't seen a large scale shift in the migration&nbsp=3Btiming of any of=
 these species. For example=2C the very early Blue-headed Vireo sighting fr=
om two&nbsp=3Bweeks ago&nbsp=3Bremains the only bird of this species we've =
seen.&nbsp=3BThe jury is still out on some species that have been strangely=
 absent (i.e. Nashville Warbler and Northern Parula). Did they move south i=
n early August? Are they raising a second brood as a result of the excellen=
t summer conditions? Conversely=2C has this been a bad year for them? <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Our impression remains that&nbsp=3Bthere is some early movement taking plac=
e for some&nbsp=3Bspecies but most of the birds we've encountered on Brier =
Island the past three weeks&nbsp=3Bare heading south&nbsp=3Bat the time exp=
ected.&nbsp=3B<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
All the best=2C<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Lance<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
<BR>&nbsp=3B<BR>
<DIV>
<DIV id=3DSkyDrivePlaceholder></DIV>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>&nbsp=3B</DIV></DIV> 		 	   		  </div></body>

--_337dee43-6988-4198-bef1-817f8b04ded2_--