[NatureNS] White Point, Queens

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2012 19:39:31 -0300

About an ago I was down by the woodpile, out back near the wet area, when I
saw a hummingbird on newly opened jewelweed. Then another and another!!.
There are at least 10, probably more! Only one found its way to the feeder
and from its actions it was a transient as it was very cautious, a
female/juvenile.
We have had several flocks of mixed small birds passing through usually tree
top level but the past couple mornings I have gotten up to hear the apple
and birches behind the house all a twitter.  They included yellow rumped
warblers, black and white stripes, vireos and possibly kinglets. I just am
looking some up now. We have several families of Northern Flickers and more
Blue Jays. I ahve to say the Blue Jays are gettiong more and more aggressive
to my eye. They are after hummi9ngbirds now as well as newly fledged
sparrows and the swallows this year were being harrassed more than ever
before. Evolution at work?
The ocean is working itself up really well. Fog has been surging in and out
all day and sometimes it sounds like the coastal birds are right next to the
house.
Best regards.
Marg Millard
http://MargMillard.ca