[NatureNS] Winning the oil endgame

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2012 22:03:14 -0300

style=3D"white-space: pr

------=_NextPart_000_021C_01CD8E0D.BEB0F6C0

Hi Chris & All,                        Sept 8, 2012
    I tried to access oil end game but just seemed to get stuck in =
various RIM branches.=20

    What I have seen here or elsewhere convinces me that the real =
opportunities for efficiencies in movement of goods and people has been =
overlooked.

    Most energy is consumed (on level grade) during the period of =
acceleration. Long freight trains are the extreme example and, in this =
day and age, it is madness to stop an entire train just to add or =
subtract a few rail cars.=20

    With, e.g. a locomotive at both ends, cars to be off loaded =
contiguous and using computer control for all actions, one could break =
the train aft of the off section, switch the tail to a left siding, =
break the off section free, switch it to a right siding, capture it =
side-car fashion using a third but light locomotive, switch the aft =
section back onto the main track, join the ends and carry on. Adding =
cars would be the reverse of the above.

    Ideally of course cars would be added such that the next off section =
would always be at the end of the train.=20

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville
   =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20