[NatureNS] Winning the oil endgame

Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2012 16:46:34 -0300
From: Bob Lindsay <rhlindsay@accesswave.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Cc: Christopher Majka <c.majka@ns.sympatico.ca>

&lt;DIV&gt;&lt;FONT size=3D2&gt;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; &lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;/DIV&gt
--------------090504040009010902040707

Hello, Chris.
I, tried to access the text of Lovins' book *Winning the oil endgame,
*through the site you gave at:*

**http://www.oilendgame.com/

*but, as David Webster has posted, I, too, was led directly to the main
page of the Rocky Mountain Institute's (RMI) website. I navigated
through "knowledge center" to "library", and found only a file of 206 KB
- a four page executive summary only of the book.

Can you be more specific about how to locate and download the entire book?

Bob Lindsay
Dartmouth

**
On 07/09/2012 3:50 PM, Christopher Majka wrote:
> Hi Pat,
>
> On 30-Aug-12, at 7:51 PM, Patrick Kelly wrote:
>
>> Hi all:
>>
>> I would highly recommend this book:
>>
>> http://www.amazon.com/Energy-Problems-Technical-Society-Kraushaar/dp/0471573108
>>
>> When my son was taking engineering it was the text for one of his
>> courses. I then read it and passed it on to a co-worker. It has lots
>> of worked examples with real-life numbers but you don't need a degree
>> in math to follow them. One of the best parts was the diagram that
>> showed where all the energy in gas-powered car went when driving at
>> highway speeds. If I recall correctly, out of the 100% of energy
>> possible with complete combustion, less than 5% of that actually is
>> used to move the car. The rest is lost as heat, friction, and
>> aerodynamic drag. The latter is the main reason milegage starts going
>> down after 85-90 km/h at high speed
>
> A _brilliant_ TED talk (recommended to everyone) is by Amory
> Lovins (author of soft-energy paths) is:
>
> *Amory Lovins on winning the oil endgame*
> http://www.ted.com/speakers/amory_lovins.html
>
> This was filmed in 2005 (posted in 2007) and the case that he presents
> is _even_ more germane now then it was seven years ago.
>
> Lovins points out that in most conventional automobiles about 88% of
> the energy burned by the vehicles never gets to the wheels. It is lost
> in the engine, the power train, the accessories, and idling at 0
> km/litre. Of the 12% that does get to the wheels, 1/2 of that is lost
> in the friction of the tires heating the road and in friction of
> pushing air aside from the path of the vehicle. Only 6% actually
> accelerates the car and then heats the brakes when you slow down.
>
> Now, since typically 95% of the weight that you are moving is of the
> vehicle itself rather than the driver and/or the payload, only about
> 0.3% of the fuel burned actually results in useful work. 99.7% of the
> fuel burned is essentially lost. As Lovins himself points out:
>
> "This not very gratifying after over a century of devoted engineering
> effort."
>
> The TED talk is really a gloss on his most recent book:
>
> *Winning the oil endgame*
> http://www.oilendgame.com/
>
> Which spells out many more of the details of his plan - and it's
> available as a free download! :->
>
> Cheers!
>
> Chris

--------------090504040009010902040707

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
    Hello, Chris.<br>
    I, tried to access the text of Lovins' book&nbsp; <b>W<span
        class="Apple-tab-span" style="white-space: pre; ">inning the oil
        endgame, </span></b><span class="Apple-tab-span"
      style="white-space: pre; ">through the site you gave at:</span><b><span
        class="Apple-tab-span" style="white-space: pre; "><br>
        pre; "><span class="Apple-tab-span" style="white-space: pre; "><a
      as David Webster has posted, I, too, was led directly to the main
      page of the Rocky Mountain Institute's (RMI) website. I navigated
      through "knowledge center" to "library", and found only a file of
      206 KB - a four page executive summary only of the book.<br>
      Can you be more specific about how to locate and download the
      entire book?<br>
      Bob Lindsay<br>
      Dartmouth<br>
      Majka wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:F2BA6CBF-6F9B-4D8C-B1D5-73C4F55D976E@ns.sympatico.ca"
      type="cite">Hi Pat,
              -webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">Hi all:
href="http://www.amazon.com/Energy-Problems-Technical-Society-Kraushaar/dp/0471573108">http://www.amazon.com/Energy-Problems-Technical-Society-Kraushaar/dp/0471573108</a></div>