[NatureNS] Intriguing question?

From: Christopher Majka <c.majka@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 11:41:07 -0300

Hi Andy,

As I understand it, at least in terms of spring migration, the thought
is that males of some species (including Ruby-throated, Rufous,
Allens, and Calliope hummingbirds) migrate first to stake out
territories. Females follow some 2-3 weeks later to be able to take
advantage of a nutritionally richer supply of flowers along the
migration route. On the southward migration, juveniles tend to follow
females.

I know there has been a lot of investigation on survivorship of
hummingbirds related to the timing of migration, what plants are in
bloom over what portion of the migration route, and the ability to
stake out territories in optimal/suboptimal habitat. The situation
with respect to hummingbirds is also somewhat different from many
other birds since male hummingbirds are polygamous and because of the
nutritional requirements and physiology of hummingbirds.

I don't have the time to investigate further but perhaps someone on
the list will know more.

Cheers!

Chris