[NatureNS] Intriguing question?

Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 13:09:48 -0300
From: Rick Whitman <dendroica.caerulescens@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Natural selection will select for early male departure on both an
individual (survival) basis and on a population-wide basis. The males
contribute nothing to nestling survival. They may as well get going
early while things are great all along the route south. This also
frees up food resources for the later females & juveniles. The
juveniles no doubt need to mature & build up maximum fat reserves
before they undertake their first migration, for which they have no
experience, aside from instinct, and on which they may make some
errors.

There are analogies in the way in which most shorebird species depart
from the North. In many cases the adults leave first & in some species
(aside from phalaropes) I believe the females leave before the males.
They are burned out & need to start south for the richer staging areas
like James Bay & Bay of Fundy. The males go next & juveniles last. The
juveniles that don't have the skills to feed themselves & bulk up
before leaving may not complete their first migration. So be it.

Whatever works on a population-wide AND individual basis will be
selected, over time.

Top of the head comments; I don't teach this stuff, etc.

Rick W.