[NatureNS] edible Nostoc balls in freshwater ?

Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 16:52:28 -0300
From: Dusan Soudek <soudekd@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

To Liz, Gayle, Andrew;
    the Nostoc balls were in a partially man-made marsh managed by Ducks Unlimited. Therefore it is highly unlikely that management would be wanting to poison ducks there. I am certain that the occurence is perfectly natural.
   No, they aren't identical to Volvox, which I believe is a chlorophyte (green algae). The Nostoc balls are less cystic than Volvox balls, with more of a grape-like consistency.
   I tasted some, but I really cannot recommend them, the possible toxicity issue notwithstanding. They have no taste whatsoever. I didn't actually swallow any of the tissue, I spat it out.
   The cyanophyte toxin microcystin received some attention in the press lately. But just because there are some clearly toxic cyanophytes, it doesn't mean that all cyanophytes are toxic. That would be like saying that just because there are toxic mushrooms (or flowering plants!), one should stay clear of ALL mushrooms (or angiosperms!)
   There are some nice photos of Nostoc balls on the internet. Just google "Nostoc balls."
   Dusan Soudek