[NatureNS] Aubrey/Maturin

Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2012 13:31:04 -0300
From: Peter Payzant <pce@accesswave.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Boundary_(ID_DlzzFOTqQISJc/Uio9nPEg)

Let me second desolatechair's recommendation for the Aubrey/Maturin
series. It is set during the Napoleonic wars and details the adventures
and friendship of a consummate sailor (Jack Aubrey) and his friend, the
penniless Irish surgeon Stephen Maturin. They get off to a bad start,
almost having to fight a duel over Jack's behaviour at a concert in the
governor's house in Minorca, but after that their friendship blossoms.

Not only is the series great literature, but Maturin is a naturalist (as
well as a surgeon and a spy). He has wonderful adventures with nature
all over the world, including birds, insects, mammals and plants. In one
episode, a sloth which he has brought aboard Jack's ship is pining a
little because of the cold. Jack takes pity:

    The sloth sneezed, and looking up, Jack caught its gaze fixed upon
    him; its inverted face had an expression of anxiety and concern.
    'Try a piece of this, old cock,' he said, dipping his cake in the
    grog and proffering the sop. 'It might put a little heart into
    you.'  The sloth sighed, closed its eyes, but gently absorbed the
    piece, and sighed again.

    Some minutes later he felt a touch on his knee; the sloth had
    silently climbed down and it was standing there, its beady eyes
    looking up into his face, bright with expectation.  More cake, more
    grog; growing confidence and esteem.  After this, as soon as the
    drum had beat the retreat, the sloth would meet him, hurrying
    towards the door on its uneven legs: it was given its own bowl and
    would grip it with its claws, lowering its round face into it and
    pursing its lips to drink.  Sometimes it went to sleep in this
    position, bowed over the emptiness.

Later, Stephen is horrified to discover his sloth completely under the
influence. He utters the deathless words, "Jack! You have debauched my
sloth!"

Peter Payzant

On 2012-09-28 10:00 AM, desolatechair@gmail.com wrote:
> And for a definitive education on all things nautical in the great age
> of sail you can't do any better than the Aubrey/Maturin series by the
> late great Patrick O'Brian - part of which(The Surgeons Mate I
> believe) is set in Halifax. Outstanding read and perfect for long
> winter nights!

--Boundary_(ID_DlzzFOTqQISJc/Uio9nPEg)

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
      recommendation for the Aubrey/Maturin series. It is set during the
      Napoleonic wars and details the adventures and friendship of a
      consummate sailor (Jack Aubrey) and his friend, the penniless
      Irish surgeon Stephen Maturin. They get off to a bad start, almost
      having to fight a duel over Jack's behaviour at a concert in the
      governor's house in Minorca, but after that their friendship
      blossoms. <br>
      Not only is the series great literature, but Maturin is a
      naturalist (as well as a surgeon and a spy). He has wonderful
      adventures with nature all over the world, including birds,
      insects, mammals and plants. In one episode, a sloth which he has
      brought aboard Jack's ship is pining a little because of the cold.
      Jack takes pity:<br>
        gaze fixed upon him; its inverted face had an expression of
        anxiety and concern. 'Try a piece of this, old cock,' he said,
        dipping his cake in the grog and proffering the sop. 'It might
        put a little heart into you.'&nbsp; The sloth sighed, closed its
        eyes, but gently absorbed the piece, and sighed again. <br>
        Some minutes later he felt a touch on his knee; the sloth had
        silently climbed down and it was standing there, its beady eyes
        looking up into his face, bright with expectation.&nbsp; More cake,
        more grog; growing confidence and esteem.&nbsp; After this, as soon
        as the drum had beat the retreat, the sloth would meet him,
        hurrying towards the door on its uneven legs: it was given its
        own bowl and would grip it with its claws, lowering its round
        face into it and pursing its lips to drink.&nbsp; Sometimes it went
        to sleep in this position, bowed over the emptiness.<br>
      Later, Stephen is horrified to discover his sloth completely under
      the influence. He utters the deathless words, "Jack! You have
      debauched my sloth!"<br>
      Peter Payzant<br>