[NatureNS] Honey mushroom again

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2012 20:42:14 -0300

Dear All,                        Oct 4, 2012
       Some 15-20 years ago (before joining naturens), when cutting numerous
dead/dying but relatively sound Poplar, I noticed that whenever a tangle of
black shoelaces was present under the bark, the split bark-free xylem while
drying had a pleasant perfume-like smell. This odor sometimes persists after
the wood is air dry and is also sometimes present in xylem of dead/dying
Poplar when the shoelaces are absent.

    Joining the dots, I guessed that the shoelaces were Honey mushroom in
origin and the 'Honey' and 'mellea' in the name refer to the pleasant odor
of affected wood.

    Perhaps someone on Naturens can confirm or refute this.

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville