[NatureNS] White Point butterflies

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2012 10:21:15 -0300

Yesterday, Oct 4, I was in my studio when the sun moved around so its rays
were laying on the tomato plant outside my window. The plant has had the
biscuit but the butterflies were interested in the rotting tomatoes so I've
left it. Within minutes, several Red Admirals and a Monarch flitted out of
the foliage, settled on the chairs nearby to warm and dry themselves, I
presume, then once again went back to feeding then up they went. No more
flitting around, just up and up and up! in small tight circles.
Oh, the past couple days a strange thing (strange to me at least) with a
flock of quite a number of Starlings. First I saw it with some other birds,
Robins initially, I think. They have begun to seriously feed on insects in
the air. I actually wondered if they were grabbing butterflies but saw no
evidence of that. Am I 'just'  seeing this, is it the norm or is a feeding
source changing? I also noted this summer Blue Jays are seriously hunting
smaller birds, not just eggs and hatchlings. They have been attacking young
and smaller fledglings.

Gayle, winter gardening is an interest to me this year as well.
Best regards,
Marg Millard, White Point, Queens

http://MargMillard.ca