[NatureNS] Ruffed Grouse drumming

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 21:09:54 -0300

Hi Gary & All,                    Oct 17, 2012
    I don't know about chances but the part that interests me is ability of
a relatively small bird to cause lateral vibrations in an entire and
relatively massive tree (see following two examples and now three).

    I suspect this means that, by control of the pecking stroke timing &
deceleration, much of the energy that would otherwise lead to brain damage
is harmlessly conveyed to the tree by resonance.
Yt, Dave Webster Kentville

START OF PASTE///////////////
Hi Andrew & All,            Dec 7, 2008
    A year or several ago (all based on memory) I had a similar experience;
placed one hand against a Poplar trunk to steady myself while looking up to
locate the Woodpecker and felt the vibration in my hand. It was a Downy and
a fair sized tree; ~25 cm DBH.

Yt, DW, Kentville