[NatureNS] A great day in The Valley

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 18:38:39 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--f46d0447a10fe04f2004cc70540f

I was working in Annapolis Royal today, so left early and took the back
roads, to see and take photos of the stunning display of Fall foliage in
great early morning light. I walked the French Basin Trail at Annapolis
Royal. The whole area was loaded with Robins, but surprisingly there were
very few Y-R warblers and 1 C.Yellowthroat. There were several Common
Grackles. The main pond was just covered with waterfowl - Sorry, E-bird
enthusiasts, I didn't attempt to make any sort of even semi-accurate count.
But species seen were Canada Goose, Wood Duck, Gadwall, Am. Wigeon, Black
Duck, Mallard, Green-W. Teal, Ring-necked, Bufflehead and Hooded Merganser
- most in large numbers. There was a group (? family) of 6 juv. Pied-billed
Grebes.

On the way back, I checked with a lady in Paradise, who had called me last
night about a Hummingbird still coming to her feeder. It was there, and I
was able to get good quality photos - I'm pretty sure it's just a juv. M.
Ruby-throated.

Then I had a look at the Port George area at high tide. There was a lone M.
Black Scoter, a small flock of Surf Scoters (for a total of 12 waterfowl
species for the day) , and a few C.Loons, with Gannets well offshore.

Good birding -  Richard

--
#################
Richard Stern,

--f46d0447a10fe04f2004cc70540f

I was working in Annapolis Royal today, so left early and took the back roa=
ds, to see and take photos of the stunning display of Fall foliage in great=
 early morning light. I walked the French Basin Trail at Annapolis Royal. T=
he whole area was loaded with Robins, but surprisingly there were very few =
Y-R warblers and 1 C.Yellowthroat. There were several Common Grackles. The =
main pond was just covered with waterfowl - Sorry, E-bird enthusiasts, I di=
dn&#39;t attempt to make any sort of even semi-accurate count. But species =
seen were Canada Goose, Wood Duck, Gadwall, Am. Wigeon, Black Duck, Mallard=
, Green-W. Teal, Ring-necked, Bufflehead and Hooded Merganser - most in lar=
ge numbers. There was a group (? family) of 6 juv. Pied-billed Grebes.<br>

ast night about a Hummingbird still coming to her feeder. It was there, and=
 I was able to get good quality photos - I&#39;m pretty sure it&#39;s just =
a juv. M. Ruby-throated.<br>

e M. Black Scoter, a small flock of Surf Scoters (for a total of 12 waterfo=
wl species for the day) , and a few C.Loons, with Gannets well offshore.<br=

richard@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">sternrichard@gmail.com</a><br>########=

--f46d0447a10fe04f2004cc70540f--