[NatureNS] Great Horned Owl, pellets, Snow Bunting

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 15:39:10 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--047d7b86f4b28665dd04ccfaa458

Rick,

Without actually having the pellet in my hand, I'd venture to say it has a
duck mandible in it. Horned Owls have a very diverse diet...it surprises me
that they're less common (around here, anyway) than Barreds.

Randy
_________________________________
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of
Antigonish County, NS.

On 26 October 2012 13:59, Rick Whitman <dendroica.caerulescens@gmail.com>wrote:

> Yesterday, Oct 25, on the main dyke just S of East Point, N. Grand
> Pre, I flushed a Great Horned Owl that was right on the dyke. It flew
> a short distance to an older dyke where it tucked in to some of the
> salt tolerant plants. It must have stayed there for hours because
> today there were two substantial pellets. I have a fine photo of the
> owl & equally fine photos of the pellets, for those of you into
> coprology.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/9ydrxt6
>
> When the owl flew, several crows immediately flew in for close looks
> but did not stick around at all. On my return trip, I saw two ravens
> do the same thing. I was struck that they left also after a single
> look, a very different reaction from their extreme attacks on
> Short-eared Owls.
>
> Yesterday I had a pale Savannah Sparrow, just S of East Point, which
> did not make the grade with Ian as an Ipswich. I think the photo is
> useful as a not-Ipswich.
>
> Today I had my first Snow Bunting of this fall just S of East Point,
> also photographed.
>
> Rick Whitman

--047d7b86f4b28665dd04ccfaa458

39;d venture to say it has a duck mandible in it. Horned Owls have a very d=
iverse diet...it surprises me that they&#39;re less common (around here, an=
yway) than Barreds.</div>

span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:dendroica.caerulescens@gmail.com" ta=
blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px=
 #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">

Yesterday, Oct 25, on the main dyke just S of East Point, N. Grand<br>
Pre, I flushed a Great Horned Owl that was right on the dyke. It flew<br>
a short distance to an older dyke where it tucked in to some of the<br>
salt tolerant plants. It must have stayed there for hours because<br>
today there were two substantial pellets. I have a fine photo of the<br>
owl &amp; equally fine photos of the pellets, for those of you into<br>
coprology.<br>
/9ydrxt6</a><br>
When the owl flew, several crows immediately flew in for close looks<br>
but did not stick around at all. On my return trip, I saw two ravens<br>
do the same thing. I was struck that they left also after a single<br>
look, a very different reaction from their extreme attacks on<br>
Short-eared Owls.<br>
Yesterday I had a pale Savannah Sparrow, just S of East Point, which<br>
did not make the grade with Ian as an Ipswich. I think the photo is<br>
useful as a not-Ipswich.<br>
Today I had my first Snow Bunting of this fall just S of East Point,<br>
also photographed.<br>
Rick Whitman<br>

--047d7b86f4b28665dd04ccfaa458--