[NatureNS] Leaches Storm Petrels Northumberland Strait Nov.3

Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2012 17:29:05 -0400
From: Helene Van Doninck <helene.birdvet@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--14dae9ccdd4ef370bf04cdb20ead

Hey Ken, she called me today on the petrel. Glad you kept that info !
Hopefully she's releasing it tonight. Need to get a calendar worthy picture
of one the next time we get one..would be a great education opportunity for
one of the months in our calendar :)
Helene
On Nov 4, 2012 1:56 PM, "Ken McKenna" <kenmcken@eastlink.ca> wrote:

> **
>
> Ken McKenna
> Box 218 Stellarton NS
> B0K 1S0
> 902 752-7644
>  Hi all
> Steve Vines and I were birding in the Caribou I. area yesterday afternoon
> (Nov 3). Our main goal was Waterside beach where we saw *25+ Red-throated
> Loons*  (down from *65+* I had about a week ago). Only one was still in
> decent alt. plumage. It started to rain as we finished so we decided to go
> to the Caribou ( Gull I.) lighthouse to see what might be flying in the
> Strait. We were not expecting much as the wind was not particularly strong.
> Shortly after we started looking, Steve spied a *Leaches Storm Petrel*flying west between the lighthouse and Pictou I. Over the next half hour or
> so we saw *17* about 1 every 2 min. or so. One might have been a Wilson's
> as had a strong white rump patch. We also noted about 7-8 *Red-throated
> Loons* and a few ~ 20 Gannets.
> I went to Big I this morning hoping to see some of these west bound birds
> flying back to the east but I did not observe any. When I got home, there
> was a message from my former receptionist that a former neighbour of hers (
> now living in PEI) had found a grounded and live *Storm Petrel* on the
> Caribou-Wood I. ferry ( last one last night) and passed on info from
> Helene's email to natureNS from Nov.4, 2009!! with advice on what to do
> with grounded petrels. Interesting the same date!
>
> cheers
> ken

--14dae9ccdd4ef370bf04cdb20ead

pefully she&#39;s releasing it tonight. Need to get a calendar worthy pictu=
re of one the next time we get one..would be a great education opportunity =
for one of the months in our calendar :)<br>

Helene</p>
&lt;kenmcken@eastlink.ca&gt; wr=
ote:<br type=3D"attribution"><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"mar=
gin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
<u></u>

1S0<br><a href=3D"tel:902%20752-7644" value=3D"+19027527644" target=3D"_bla=
oon=20
(Nov 3). Our main goal was Waterside beach where we saw <strong>25+ Red-thr=
oated=20
=20
Only=A0one was still in decent alt. plumage. It started to rain as we=20
finished so we decided to go to the Caribou ( Gull I.) lighthouse to see wh=
at=20
might be flying in the Strait. We were not expecting much as the wind was n=
ot=20
particularly strong. Shortly after we started looking, Steve spied a=20
<strong>Leaches Storm Petrel</strong> flying west between the lighthouse an=
d=20
Pictou I. Over the next half hour or so we saw <strong>17</strong> about 1 =
every=20
2 min. or so. One might have been a Wilson&#39;s as had a strong white rump=
 patch.=20
We also noted about 7-8 <strong>Red-throated Loons</strong> and a few ~ 20=
=20
Gannets. </div>
rds=20
flying back to the east but I did not observe any. When I got home, there w=
as a=20
message from my former receptionist that a former neighbour of hers ( now l=
iving=20
in PEI) had found a grounded and live=A0<strong>Storm Petrel</strong> on th=
e=20
Caribou-Wood I. ferry ( last one last night) and passed on info from Helene=
&#39;s=20
email to natureNS=A0from Nov.4, 2009!! with advice on what to do with=20
grounded petrels. Interesting the same date!</div>

--14dae9ccdd4ef370bf04cdb20ead--