[NatureNS] Northern Lapwing and other Canso birds

From: Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 21:36:11 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0051_01CDC1E6.E64F54D0

Ken McKenna
Box 218 Stellarton NS
B0K 1S0
902 752-7644

Hi all=20
Charlie Kendell and I found a Northern Lapwing this morning ( Nov 13) at =
the ballfield area of the Canso Stanfest site- ( near the rink). It was =
first with 15 Canada Geese but later moved to ballfield. We were able to =
get some distant photos ( lifer for Charlie). Shortly after we collected =
Tom Kavanaugh and soon found the bird for a lifer for him. Tom in turn =
was able to contact Steve Buschell  and we were all there when he got =
his lifer look as well.=20
I suspect Tom might be on his house roof to get this for a yard bird!!
Great Egret was at Chapel Gully, 2 Dickcissels and 1 Indigo Bunting at =
Tom. K's feeder. Later we saw an Audubon's Warbler with about 10 Myrtle =
Yellow-rumps along the waterfront trail in Canso.=20
We also photographed a Great Black-backed Gull with both a green wing =
tag and leg tag with ACY letters on both tags. There is a silver metal =
band on the right leg the green band is on the left leg. Will see if =
this is one of the birds banded on Sable I.=20
There were a good many finches around especially White-winged =
Crossbills, but also Evening Grosbeaks, Redpolls, Goldfinches, Pine =
Grosbeaks and I think I heard a single Red Crossbill, but I think I =
would liked to have seen it to count it. There were a couple of dozen =
Bohemian Waxwings and 8 Iceland Gulls. Tom had seen a Glaucous Gull in =
the morning when he saw the Grasshopper Sparrow.=20
We did not see the Common Moorhen, Grasshopper, Field or Clay-coloured =
Sparrows that have been around.=20
At Little Dover, we had a Wilson's Snipe and 50+ Snow Buntings at Black =
Duck Park.
------=_NextPart_000_0051_01CDC1E6.E64F54D0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Ken McKenna<BR>Box 218 Stellarton =
NS<BR>B0K=20
1S0<BR>902 752-7644<BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Hi all </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Charlie Kendell and&nbsp;I found a =
<STRONG>Northern=20
Lapwing</STRONG> this morning ( Nov 13)&nbsp;at the ballfield area of =
the Canso=20
Stanfest site- ( near the rink). It was first with 15 Canada Geese but =
later=20
moved to ballfield. We were able to get some distant photos ( lifer for=20
Charlie). Shortly after we collected Tom Kavanaugh and soon found the =
bird for a=20
lifer for him. Tom in turn was able to&nbsp;contact Steve Buschell&nbsp; =
and we=20
were all there when he got his lifer look as well. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>I suspect Tom might be on his house =
roof to get=20
this for a yard bird!!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial><STRONG>Great Egret</STRONG> was at =
Chapel Gully, 2=20
<STRONG>Dickcissels</STRONG> and 1 <STRONG>Indigo Bunting</STRONG> at =
Tom. K's=20
feeder. Later we saw an <STRONG>Audubon's Warbler</STRONG> with about 10 =

Myrtle&nbsp;Yellow-rumps along the waterfront trail in Canso. =
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>We also photographed a Great =
Black-backed Gull with=20
both a green wing tag and leg tag with ACY letters on both tags. There =
is a=20
silver&nbsp;metal band on the right leg the green band is on the left =
leg. Will=20
see if this is one of the birds banded on Sable I. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>There were a good many finches around =
especially=20
White-winged Crossbills, but also Evening Grosbeaks, Redpolls, =
Goldfinches, Pine=20
Grosbeaks and I think I heard a single Red Crossbill, but I think I =
would liked=20
to have seen it to count it. There were a couple of dozen Bohemian =
Waxwings and=20
8 Iceland Gulls. Tom had seen a Glaucous Gull in the morning when he saw =
the=20
Grasshopper Sparrow. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>We did not see the Common Moorhen, =
Grasshopper,=20
Field or Clay-coloured Sparrows that have been around. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>At Little Dover, we had a Wilson's =
Snipe and 50+=20
Snow Buntings at Black Duck Park. </DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0051_01CDC1E6.E64F54D0--