[NatureNS] Squirrel Dilemma

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 22:59:41 -0400

type=3D"attribution"&gt;&lt;blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote"

------=_NextPart_000_0009_01CDC1F2.905924A0

I found that Red Squirrels can be caught in a squirrel-size Hav-a-Hart =
trap (available at good hardware stores).  The squirrels are suckers for =
peanut butter.  Then you have a choice: drown the squirrel, or deport =
him.  A squirrel can return if released closer than  7 km.  I am not =
certain about the legality of releasing such trapped animals: should =
check on that.  This, however, may be no favour to the squirrel if =
winter is approaching, because they cannot survive without their midden.

We use 'have a hart' traps as well and peanut butter, just plain =
peanuts, crunchy, works well. They can find a way in along power wires, =
up along piping and drains and in through sump pump drains if you don't =
have check valves on them. Obviously they have other means of getting in =
as well. I always worry about releasing them away from their storage and =
taking them to an area they don't know and may have to defend their =
existence in but I figured that is better than shooting them. I've tried =
feeding them and trying to "pay" them to stay outside until I found how =
they were accessing the space but had to move them in the end. Sometimes =
cats and Dogs can dissuade them or warn of their presence before they =
get too well established.=20
Marg Millard White Point, Queens=20
http://MargMillard.ca
------=_NextPart_000_0009_01CDC1F2.905924A0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>
<DIV>I found that Red Squirrels can be caught in a squirrel-size =
Hav-a-Hart trap=20
(available at good hardware stores). &nbsp;The squirrels are suckers for =
peanut=20
butter. &nbsp;Then you have a choice: drown the squirrel, or deport him. =
&nbsp;A=20
squirrel can return if released closer than &nbsp;7 km. &nbsp;I am not =
certain=20
about the legality of releasing such trapped animals: should check on =
that.=20
&nbsp;This, however, may be no favour to the squirrel if winter is =
approaching,=20
because they cannot survive without their midden.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>..........................................</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>We use 'have a hart' traps as well and peanut butter, just plain =
peanuts,=20
crunchy, works well. They can find a way in along power wires, up along =
piping=20
and drains and in through sump pump drains if you don't have check =
valves on=20
them. Obviously they have other means of getting in as well. I always =
worry=20
about releasing them away from their storage and taking them to an area =
they=20
don't know and may have to defend their existence in but I figured that =
is=20
better than shooting them.&nbsp;I've tried feeding them and trying to =
"pay" them=20
to stay outside until I found how they&nbsp;were accessing the space but =
had to=20
move them in the end. Sometimes cats and Dogs can dissuade them or warn =
of their=20
presence before they get too well established. </DIV>
<DIV>Marg Millard White Point, Queens&nbsp;</DIV></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial><A=20
href=3D"http://MargMillard.ca">http://MargMillard.ca</A></FONT></DIV></BO=