[NatureNS] "Burning our forests: large-scale vandalism"

Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 08:21:31 -0500
From: Fred Schueler <bckcdb@istar.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Quoting John and Nhung <nhungjohn@eastlink.ca>:

> Yup.  I do wonder if and how they will find a sustainable source of fuel for
> that plant.

* more importantly - are they going to get the potassium and
phosphorus from the ash back into the woods to grow more trees? Trees
stop growing after the first rotation in nutrient-depleted sites -
http://pinicola.ca/limnutr.htm (note that the message in this page was
so unsettling to the forestry profession that they closed down the
advisory committee rather than abide by the policy). And are they
going to *clearcut* hardwoods in defiance of all sylvicultural
prescriptions? Biofuels should come from places where the biomass is a
waste, or a where it's an ecological benefit to remove nutrients from
the ecosystem - grass and brush along roadsides is a prime example.

So many of these "renewable energy" projects abandon the basic
premises of "greenness" that in Ontario we're using the expression
"green is black."

fred.

          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
          South Nation Basin Art & Science Book