[NatureNS] The Fuss About Multiflora Roses

From: Hans Toom <htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 19:01:05 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0095_01CDCA76.0E429A50

The multiflora rose is a beautiful flowering plant that produces =
hundreds of splendid petals that last for about three weeks. In my =
rather coolish coastal area the plant blooms in mid July. The thousands =
of berries appear in mid to late fall and provide food for almost every =
migrating and overwintering bird. The red berries are magical when =
covered by snow and descended upon by hordes of thrushes and finches of =
all types. The mimics, waxwings, sparrows and flycatchers also take =
their share.

The plant is low maintenance providing you follow some simple rules. =
Never use it as a show plant, display plant or foundation planting. Use =
it only in areas where humans do not frequent for the thorns are as =
vicious as on any plant I've met. Plant it around the boundaries of your =
garden or yard where it can grow uninhibited in three directions, to the =
back and to the sides. The leaders are amazing, growing 8-12 feet per =
year but have a rather nasty overhanging strategy. Where the rose =
overhangs onto areas where you don't want it simply cut off the leaders =
and throw them back onto the top of the plant. I do this once a year! =
The seedlings that sprout into new roses are your opportunity to =
continue building your hedge. Simply pull the sprouts out of the ground =
when they are 2-3 feet long until you see roots, cut the sprout, and =
throw them in a bucket of water. The same procedure applies to root =
spread plants. Root starter is not necessary in your bucket of water. =
Take your sprouts and using a spike or fork create a hole and drop the =
sprout into it, tap it down with your feet and water, then forget. I =
have about a 90% success rate at replanting the volunteers. Older plants =
do not grow much at all and produce considerably less berries than the =
younger ones. As well as a source of food the plant is the best =
protection against raptors that songbirds can have. I've seen songbirds =
huddled in the middle of the rose with the raptor sitting nearby =
frustrated, knowing that a plunge into the rose provides not a reward of =
bird flesh but numerous thorn stabs. Sometimes the raptors get so =
tangled I've almost had to rescue them, but not yet.

The plant was introduced from Asia to act as a natural animal barrier =
which it does well enough but as has been pointed out by others it does =
spread. It's banned from some American states as a noxious plant.

It's easy to get your supply of cuttings. Take a heavy pair of gloves, =
good shears and a bucket of water and visit locations where this plant =
grows in abundance. Pull out leaders, cut them off at the first sign of =
roots, throw in your bucket of water and replant along the edges of your =
property where people do not frequent. I don't recommend this plant if =
you have dogs or children running about.

If one follows these simple guidelines the plant is a wonderful =
introduction to your garden, providing birds food and protection and the =
home owner the pleasure of unbelievable blooms. Gray Catbirds nest in =
this plant as do Baltimore Orioles, further south of course.

Hans
________________________________
Hans Toom
Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada
http://www.hanstoom.com/

------=_NextPart_000_0095_01CDCA76.0E429A50

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>The multiflora rose is a beautiful =
flowering plant=20
that produces hundreds of splendid petals that last for about three =
weeks. In my=20
rather coolish coastal area the plant blooms in mid July. The thousands =
of=20
berries appear in mid to late fall and provide food for&nbsp;almost =
every=20
migrating and overwintering bird. The red berries are magical when =
covered by=20
snow and descended upon by hordes of thrushes and finches of all types. =
The=20
mimics, waxwings, sparrows and flycatchers also take their =
share.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial><STRONG>The plant is low maintenance =
providing you=20
follow some simple rules</STRONG>. Never use it as a&nbsp;show plant, =
display=20
plant or foundation planting. Use it only in areas where humans do not =
frequent=20
for the thorns are as vicious as on any plant I've met. Plant it around =
the=20
boundaries of your garden or yard where it can grow uninhibited in three =

directions, to the back and to the sides. The leaders are amazing, =
growing 8-12=20
feet per year&nbsp;but have a rather nasty overhanging strategy. Where =
the rose=20
overhangs onto areas where you don't want it simply cut off the leaders =
and=20
throw them back onto the top of the plant. I do this =
<STRONG>once</STRONG> a=20
year! The seedlings that sprout into new roses are your opportunity to =
continue=20
building your hedge. Simply pull the sprouts out of the ground when they =
are 2-3=20
feet long until you see roots, cut the sprout, and throw them in a =
bucket of=20
water. The same procedure applies to root spread plants.&nbsp;Root =
starter is=20
not necessary in your bucket of water.&nbsp;Take your sprouts and using =
a spike=20
or&nbsp;fork create a hole and drop the sprout into it, tap it&nbsp;down =
with=20
your feet&nbsp;and water, then forget. I have about a 90% success rate =
at=20
replanting the volunteers. Older plants do not grow much at all and =
produce=20
considerably less berries than the younger ones. As well as a source of =
food the=20
plant is the best protection against raptors that songbirds can have. =
I've=20
seen&nbsp;songbirds huddled in the middle of the rose&nbsp;with the =
raptor=20
sitting nearby frustrated, knowing that a plunge into the rose provides =
not a=20
reward of bird flesh but numerous thorn stabs. Sometimes the raptors get =
so=20
tangled I've almost had to rescue them, but not yet.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>The plant was introduced from Asia to =
act as a=20
natural animal barrier which it does well enough but as has been pointed =
out by=20
others it does spread. It's banned from some American states as a =
noxious=20
plant.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>It's easy to get your supply of =
cuttings. Take a=20
heavy pair of gloves, good shears and a bucket of water and visit =
locations=20
where this plant grows in abundance. Pull out leaders, cut them off at =
the first=20
sign of roots, throw