[NatureNS] Multiflora Roses continued

Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 20:52:13 -0400
From: David Patriquin <patriqui@dal.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca,

[NatureNS] The Fuss About

CARP cites Rosa multiflora as an invasive
http://www.annapolisriver.ca/alienplants.php

For pics of two  examples of really invasive R. multiflora in N.S., see
http://versicolor.ca/rosamultiflora
One is climbing over trees in Windsor, the other in pasture near
Smiley?s  Park

Interestingly, it is common around Halifax, but not yet in Point
Pleasant Park. I  notified PPP staff of one site on the main road
which they cut out.

I think it is a species best eradicated when caught early. ?Glad to
see many suggested alternatives to plant for birds.

Another ornamental rose that has become seriously invasive: Rosa rugosa, see
Hill, N.M., Beveridge, L., Flynn, A. & Garbary, D.J. 2010. Rosa rugosa
as an invader of coastal sand dunes of Cape Breton Island and mainland
of Nova Scotia. The Canadian Field Naturalist 124: 151-158.