[NatureNS] Multiflora Rose

From: "John Kearney" <john.kearney@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 22:24:36 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_000A_01CDCA92.7C78A610

Clearly there are differences of perspective about multiflora roses among
the members of NatureNS.  After doing a little internet searching and
checking out the suggested web links people have made, I'm not sure I could
positively identify these different types of roses from our native wild
roses. With climate change, it seems we will have to increasingly face the
question of invasive species and their effects on local ecology and native
species. Are species that spread as result of the climate change (which is
of our doing) different from those that are intentionally or accidentally
introduced by us. Should we also be considering such species as Northern
Cardinals and Red-bellied Woodpeckers as invasive species which could
potentially have a negative impact on native bird populations?

I would be interested in hearing people's ideas about how we can sort all of
this out in the years ahead.

John

------=_NextPart_000_000A_01CDCA92.7C78A610

xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 14 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:"Comic Sans MS";
	panose-1:3 15 7 2 3 3 2 2 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
	{margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:10.0pt;
	font-family:"Comic Sans MS";
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
	margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-CA link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"'>Clearly =
there are differences of perspective about multiflora roses among the =
members of NatureNS. </span><span =
style=3D'mso-fareast-language:EN-CA'>&nbsp;<span lang=3DEN-US>After =
doing a little internet searching and checking out the suggested web =
links people have made, I&#8217;m not sure I could positively identify =
these different types of roses from our native wild roses. With climate =
change, it seems we will have to increasingly face the question of =
invasive species and their effects on local ecology and native species. =
Are species that spread as result of the climate change (which is of our =
doing) different from those that are intentionally or accidentally =
introduced by us. Should we also be considering such species as Northern =
Cardinals and Red-bellied Woodpeckers as invasive species which could =
potentially have a negative impact on native bird =
lang=3DEN-US style=3D'mso-fareast-language:EN-CA'>I would be interested =
in hearing people&#8217;s ideas about how we can sort all of this out in =
lang=3DEN-US =
style=3D'mso-fareast-language:EN-CA'>John</span><o:p></o:p></p></div></bo=
dy></html>
------=_NextPart_000_000A_01CDCA92.7C78A610--