[NatureNS] House Sparrows

Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 10:50:20 -0400
From: David Johnston <dwj.jem@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--------------040106050907090603000205

Here in Port Hawkesbury we have always had a significant flock of House
Sparrows at the feeders over the winter. This year appears to be no
different. Therre are approximately 35 in our back yard this morning and
have been here for a few weeks.   DWJ

--
David W. Johnston
Mary K. Johnston

902 625 1534

dwj.jem@ns.sympatico.ca

--------------040106050907090603000205

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
    Here in Port Hawkesbury we have always had a significant flock of
    House Sparrows at the feeders over the winter. This year appears to
    be no different. Therre are approximately 35 in our back yard this
    morning and have been here for a few weeks.&nbsp;&nbsp; DWJ<br>
      Lance (EXP) wrote:<br>
cite="mid:92470D8023567B4D8D50FBA6E5E9D00F0CB8CEEBAD@HCXMSP1.ca.lmco.com"
      type="cite"><span
style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:#1F497D">The

        other factor that works its way into the House Sparrow picture
        (and many other bird species as well) is winter survivability.
        This is what a study in the United Kingdom found was a big
        problem. House Sparrows may raise lots of young but because
        adult birds didn&#8217;t have sufficient protein in the summer (i.e.
        not enough insects) to feed young, the young were not very fit,
        even though they su</span></blockquote>
    <pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">--
David W. Johnston
Mary K. Johnston