[NatureNS] Indigo Bunting - Hardiness?

Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2012 22:07:58 -0400
From: Helene Van Doninck <helene.birdvet@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--f46d04083aad0ca86f04d1cc043d

Mealworms are MUCH cheaper ( and in better shape) if ordered directly from
a central supplier( usually in Ont). During our busy season I buy up to
20,000 every few weeks. I think the minimum order is 1000. If anyone is
considering this contact me off list and I can help connect you to a
supplier.

Helene

--
Helene Van Doninck DVM
Cobequid Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre

--f46d04083aad0ca86f04d1cc043d

Mealworms are MUCH cheaper ( and in better shape) if ordered directly from =
a central supplier( usually in Ont). During our busy season I buy up to 20,=
000 every few weeks. I think the minimum order is 1000. If anyone is consid=
ering this contact me off list and I can help connect you to a supplier.=A0=
2 at 5:19 PM, AngelaJoudrey <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:aljoudr=
ey@eastlink.ca" target=3D"_blank">aljoudrey@eastlink.ca</a>&gt;</span> wrot=
e:<br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Do they eat mealworms?=A0 Not being an exper=
t in the various brands of mealworms a person could buy.... I see our Home =
Hardware in Windsor is carrying them in the pet section...<br>
 <b>&quot;Eric L. Mills&quot; </b> &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:e.mills@dal.ca" ta=
rget=3D"_blank">e.mills@dal.ca</a>&gt; wrote:</span><blockquote style=3D"bo=
rder-left:1px solid #00f;padding-left:13px;margin-left:0" type=3D"cite">
 on Nov. 30 and <br>was a regular for about 10 days went on the lam until t=
his morning, when it reappeared in <br>the midst of a flock of Juncos. <br>
esence of a Sharp-<br>shinned Hawk and Goshawk that use the local feeders a=
s cafeterias. <br><br>It remains to be seen how long this Indigo Bunting wi=
ll survive. At the moment it looks in <br>
very good shape, although we have not tried to give it any special treatmen=
	Susann Myers has an Indigo Bunting at her feeder in central Halifax, <br>
&gt; which was recorded for the Halifax-Dartmouth Christmas Bird <br>&gt; C=
ount.=A0 Fulton Lavender told me that this was the first time the <br>&gt; =
species has been found on that count, which rather surprised me.<br>&gt; <b=
r>
&gt;=A0	Susann and I were speculating recently about the bird&#39;s chances=
 of <br>&gt; surviving the winter.=A0=A0 I had the impression that they had=
e&#39;s <br>
&gt; Birds of Winter list, I see that they have not made it to February, <b=
r>&gt; in the five years in which a &quot;Depths of Winter&quot; list was <=
br>&gt; recorded.=A0 Ian McLaren&#39;s edition of Tufts (1986) indicates th=
at the <br>
&gt; latest sighting of an Indigo Bunting in Nova Scotia was on the <br>&gt=
; Halifax East Christmas Bird Count on 15 December 1979.<br>&gt; <br>&gt;=
=A0	Are there more recent winter dates for Indigo Buntings?=A0 Has one <br>=
&gt; ever over-wintered?<br>
"mailto:e.mills@dal.ca" target=3D"_blank">e.mills@dal.ca</a><br>
our time cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them.&=
ture, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.&quot;<br>
John Muir
oninck DVM<br>Cobequid Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre<br>RR#1 Brookfield NS=
 B0N1C0<br>902-893-0253<br><a href=3D"mailto:birdvet@hotmail.com" target=3D=
"_blank">birdvet@hotmail.com</a><br>
www.cwrc.net<br>

--f46d04083aad0ca86f04d1cc043d--