[NatureNS] Light juvenile (1st year) Broad-winged Hawk

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Rare Alert <ns-rba@yahoogroups.com>,
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 04:13:02 +0000

--_950e727b-cfd5-4369-b118-b04da398e716_

Early this afternoon I and two others on the Broad Cove Christmas Bird Coun=
t got great views of a light juvenile (1st year) Broad-winged Hawk at Conqu=
erall Mills=2C Lunenburg County.  I saw the bird first as it flew across th=
e road in front of the car and perched in a tree front on at about 30 feet =
away.  The bird then flew an additional 10 feet and perched fully in the op=
en back on to us.  If we had taken a picture it would have been an exact ma=
tch for the bird depicted in Sibleys as the light juvenile (1st year) Broad=
-winged hawk.  Sibleys depicts this bird as the smallest of our buteos.  Si=
ze of the bird alone rules out red-shouldered hawk and red-tailed hawk.  Th=
e white breast with very light streaking on the side depicts the juvenile b=
road-winged hawk and rules out the other two species.  Also back on there w=
as white spotting like shown for the juvenile broad-winged hawk in National=
 Geographic Third Addition.  This rules that it was not a V like you would =
expect for a red-tailed hawk=2C nor not the proper pattern if it were a sha=
rp-shinned hawk.  The tail was short in flight like you would see for a bro=
ad-winged hawk.  The tail pattern rules out red-tailed hawk and red-shoulde=
red hawk.  If you take into account the size of the bird=2C the white chest=
 with very light streaks on the side=2C the tail pattern and color on the b=
ack=2C it rules out any other possibility as to it being any other species =
than a juvenile (1st year) Broad-winged Hawk. =20
=20
James R. Hirtle
Bridgewater 		 	   		  =

--_950e727b-cfd5-4369-b118-b04da398e716_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Tahoma
}
--></style></head>
<FONT size=3D4>Early this afternoon I and two others on the Broad Cove Chri=
stmas Bird Count got great views of a light juvenile (1st year) Broad-winge=
d Hawk at Conquerall Mills=2C Lunenburg County.&nbsp=3B I saw the bird firs=
t as it flew across the road in front of the car and perched&nbsp=3Bin a tr=
ee front on at about 30 feet away.&nbsp=3B The bird then flew an additional=
 10 feet and perched fully in the open back on to us.&nbsp=3B If we had tak=
en a picture it would have been an exact match for the bird depicted in Sib=
leys as the light juvenile (1st year) Broad-winged hawk.&nbsp=3B Sibleys de=
picts this bird as the smallest of our buteos.&nbsp=3B Size of the bird alo=
ne rules out red-shouldered hawk and red-tailed hawk.&nbsp=3B The white bre=
ast with very light streaking on the side depicts the juvenile broad-winged=
 hawk and rules out the other two species.&nbsp=3B Also back on there was w=
hite spotting like shown for the juvenile broad-winged hawk in National Geo=
graphic Third Addition.&nbsp=3B This rules that it was not a&nbsp=3BV like =
you would expect for a red-tailed hawk=2C nor not the proper pattern if it =
were a sharp-shinned hawk.&nbsp=3B The tail was short&nbsp=3Bin flight&nbsp=
=3Blike you would see for a broad-winged hawk.&nbsp=3B The tail pattern rul=
es out red-tailed hawk and red-shouldered hawk.&nbsp=3B If you take into ac=
count the size of the bird=2C the white chest with very light streaks on th=
e side=2C the tail pattern and color on the back=2C it rules out any other =
possibility as to it being any other species than a juvenile (1st year) Bro=
ad-winged Hawk.&nbsp=3B </FONT><BR>
<FONT size=3D4></FONT>&nbsp=3B<BR>
<FONT size=3D4>James R. Hirtle</FONT><BR>
<FONT size=3D4>Bridgewater</FONT><BR> 		 	   		  </div></body>

--_950e727b-cfd5-4369-b118-b04da398e716_--