[NatureNS] Pheasant Nocturnal Predators

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 10:54:56 -0400
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--e0cb4efa6dfc813ac304d2273336

We had a tame farmyard duck that would wander around the backyard, until 2
days before Xmas. Then he disappeared during the evening, with no sign of
any blood, feathers or signs of struggle. For the next 2 mornings I saw a
Fox hanging around the neighbourhood, and at one point heading towards our
chicken coop. I assume the fox ate the duck and was coming back for a
second helping - just like a Beatrix Potter tale!

Richard

--
#################
Richard Stern,

--e0cb4efa6dfc813ac304d2273336

We had a tame farmyard duck that would wander around the backyard, until 2 =
days before Xmas. Then he disappeared during the evening, with no sign of a=
ny blood, feathers or signs of struggle. For the next 2 mornings I saw a Fo=
x hanging around the neighbourhood, and at one point heading towards our ch=
icken coop. I assume the fox ate the duck and was coming back for a second =
helping - just like a Beatrix Potter tale!<br>

 AM, Helene Van Doninck <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:helene.bird=
vet@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">helene.birdvet@gmail.com</a>&gt;</span> wr=
ote:<br>

x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Hi Angela, Is there blood around at all? If =
there&#39;s no blood or obvious wound it may have just been coincidence tha=
t there was something else happening in the yard. Both pheasants and grouse=
 regularly fly into windows and the sides of house and kill themselves regu=
larly. Perhaps in the bad weather it got startled and did a burst flight?<d=
iv>

ss=3D"h5"><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 9:10 AM, A=
ngelaJoudrey <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:aljoudrey@eastlink.ca"=

x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Good Morning All.<br><br>My Dad was wonderin=
g what might kill a male pheasant in the night. We&#39;ve talked about fox,=
 coyote, owl. <br>

 through the windows, jumping to get higher vantage points to see out the w=
indow. She definitely knew something was going on in the backyard.<br>

The pheasant was found in the am. But nothing was &#39;missing&#39; from hi=
m. Whatever killed him wasn&#39;t interested in eating. ( or was startled a=
way. ) This was before the snow, so no one was able to find any other track=
s or tell tale signs.<br>

e solved by the same level of thinking that created them.&quot;<br>Albert E=
instein<br>

o the rest of the world.&quot;<br>John Muir
bequid Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre<br>RR#1 Brookfield NS B0N1C0<br>902-8=
93-0253<br>

m</a><br>
www.cwrc.net<br>
chard Stern, <br>Port Williams, NS, Canada<br><a href=3D"mailto:sternrichar=
d@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">sternrichard@gmail.com</a><br>##############=
#####

--e0cb4efa6dfc813ac304d2273336--