[NatureNS] Pine warbler and yellow-headed blackbird still in Falmouth

From: Patrick Kelly <patrick.kelly@dal.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>, NS-RBA <NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 16:52:29 -0400

--Apple-Mail-26--301455623

Hi everyone:

The pine warbler that first showed up at my suet feeder Christmas Day
is still putting in a regular appearance. It even surprised me
Saturday morning as it was on the niger seed with several goldfinches
for a short time before heading for the suet.

This afternoon, I located, and photographed, the immature yellow-
headed blackbird that was first reported by Ryan Harvey on December
29th. I made two trips yesterday afternoon, and a third this afternoon
after returning from a FNSN board meeting. What Ryan didn't note in
his post was that the "flock" of red-winged blackbirds contains about
250 birds! In the two tries yesterday, I had only gotten about 1/3 of
the way through the flock when they moved en masse to a more distant
location that was not readily accessible.

For those who may want to find it, and hopefully get better pictures
than mine, your starting point is 918 Falmouth Back Road, a large
white house with black trim. On the opposite side of the road you will
see an uncut corn field, with a row of birch trees on either side. The
birds tend to be in the tops of the trees on either side, or in the
top of the large hardwood tree visible behind and to the left of #918.
If they are on the side with the corn, some of them may be on the
ground feeding.

I'm not sure why they are so skittish, as the two times they left
yesterday I had not moved and was standing off to the opposite side of
field slowly scanning with my binoculars. When I arrived today, they
were all behind 918, and I went up the road by the Ste. Famille winery
to see if I could get a better look with binoculars. I couldn't but
the group started to break up and in about six "migrations" they went
back to the cornfield. This time when they decided to move, one group
almost landed in the birch trees next to me, and the rest ended up
closer than they had been. I finally found the YHBL and got off 4
pictures before they all took off to go back behind 918 again.

http://myweb.dal.ca/pmkelly/YHBL1.jpg
http://myweb.dal.ca/pmkelly/YHBL2.jpg
http://myweb.dal.ca/pmkelly/YHBL3.jpg
http://myweb.dal.ca/pmkelly/YHBL4.jpg

Still, it was well worth the effort!

Patrick Kelly
RR#2  159 Town Road
Falmouth NS  B0P 1L0
Canada

(902) 472-2322

--Apple-Mail-26--301455623

-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">Hi =
up at my suet feeder Christmas Day is still putting in a regular =
appearance. It even surprised me Saturday morning as it was on the niger =
seed with several goldfinches for a short time before heading for the =
blackbird</b> that was first reported by Ryan Harvey on December 29th. I =
made two trips yesterday afternoon, and a third this afternoon after =
returning from a FNSN board meeting. What Ryan didn't note in his post =
was that the "flock" of red-winged blackbirds contains about<b> 250 =
birds!</b>&nbsp;In the two tries yesterday, I had only gotten about 1/3 =
[...]
href=3D"http://myweb.dal.ca/pmkelly/YHBL1.jpg">http://myweb.dal.ca/pmkelly=
href=3D"http://myweb.dal.ca/pmkelly/YHBL2.jpg">http://myweb.dal.ca/pmkelly=
href=3D"http://myweb.dal.ca/pmkelly/YHBL3.jpg">http://myweb.dal.ca/pmkelly=
href=3D"http://myweb.dal.ca/pmkelly/YHBL4.jpg">http://myweb.dal.ca/pmkelly=
style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; =
-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; font-size: 12px; "><div =
style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; =
-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; "><p style=3D"margin-top: 0px; =
margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; "><font =
face=3D"Courier" size=3D"3" style=3D"font: normal normal normal =
12px/normal Courier; "><br class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline">Patrick =
Kelly</font></p><p style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; =
margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; "><font face=3D"Courier" size=3D"3" =
style=3D"font: normal normal normal 12px/normal Courier; ">RR#2<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span>159 Town =
Road</font></p><p style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; =
margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; "><font face=3D"Courier" size=3D"3" =
style=3D"font: normal normal normal 12px/normal Courier; ">Falmouth =
NS<span class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;<span =