[NatureNS] Canvasback, Murre species, Red Throated Loon,

From: "Elizabeth Doull" <edoull@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 19:03:16 -0400

Monday, Jan 14 2013

Thanks to Suzanne Borkowski, I was able to find the Gadwall pair amid fifty
plus American wigeons and a few Eurasian wigeons at Sullivan Pond.  The
Lesser scaup was still there.  The three coots were hiding behind the
Dartmouth Curling Club!

Found one Common Murre, one Thick billed Murre, and two dovekies swimming
around along with gulls across from the Mobility Car sales brown building in
Shearwater.   No sign of the Tufted duck, but the number of scaups was down
to 11.  Where did the rest go??

Dovekies were here and there - Hartlen Point, Fishermen's Cove, Shearwater,
etc.

Found a red-throated loon and a red necked grebe at the back of Bedford
Basin. They were scoped from the Mill Cove look-off.   Could see goldeneyes
but they were too far to tell which species.

Did not see the Snow Geese mainly because of the pea soup fog.

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2013

I was back and found no sign of the Tufted Duck.  Just one dovekie and the
same scaup group as before.   A surprising find was TWO male Canvasbacks!!!
They did not stay with the scaups or gulls and moved on.  They were not
there one hour later.

Saw ten geese grazing on the Hartlen Point golf course.

Cheers,
Liz