[NatureNS] Dead bat... :(

Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 20:25:26 -0400
From: Helene Van Doninck <helene.birdvet@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--f46d043bda683a4d0b04d35cea36

They are now listed as endangered, doesn't get much more serious than
that...l
On Jan 15, 2013 6:59 PM, <duartess@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:

> I certainly know about the seriousness of the 'white nose' syndrome, but I
> would like to hear from biologists on this list, regarding the LBB and
> their predicted future in this region of the country.
>
> Thanks
>
> Gayle MacLean
> Dartmouth
>

> ---- Ian McKay <ian@amimckay.com> wrote:
> > The DNR was coming up here for a few other bats today and they also
> picked up mine. I was saddened to hear her prediction that she expects next
> year may be the last for the LBB in our area. I hope she is wrong, but the
> evidence seems to point that way. It really has hit me quite hard...I will
> miss them.
> >
> > Ian McKay
> > Scots Bay

n that...l</p>
duartess@ns.sympatico.ca">duartess@ns.sympatico.ca</a>&gt; wrote:<br type=
=3D"attribution"><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8=
ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
I certainly know about the seriousness of the &#39;white nose&#39; syndrome=
, but I would like to hear from biologists on this list, regarding the LBB =
and their predicted future in this region of the country.<br>
Thanks<br>
Gayle MacLean<br>
Dartmouth<br>
---- Ian McKay &lt;ian@amimckay.com=
&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; The DNR was coming up here for a few other bats today and they also pi=
cked up mine. I was saddened to hear her prediction that she expects next y=
ear may be the last for the LBB in our area. I hope she is wrong, but the e=
vidence seems to point that way. It really has hit me quite hard...I will m=
iss them.<br>

&gt;<br>
&gt; Ian McKay<br>
&gt; Scots Bay<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; From: Helene Van Doninck<br>
&gt; Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 3:36 PM<br>
&gt; To: <a href=3D"mailto:naturens@chebucto.ns.ca">naturens@chebucto.ns.ca=
</a><br>
&gt; Subject: Re: [NatureNS] Dead bat... :(<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I&#39;d check with your local DNR, they may send to the vet college to=
 look for white nose disease..though they may have stopped testing for that=
 since we know it&#39;s a problem here. Just remember to try not to touch a=
s rabies is always a question in bats acting strangely.<br>

&gt;<br>
&gt; Helene<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 9:21 AM, Ian McKay &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:ian@a=
mimckay.com">ian@amimckay.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; =A0 Sadly, I found a dead bat this morning. It had been flying around =
yesterday and was clinging to the outside roof of my barn last night making=
 a repeated chirping call. When I checked this morning I found it in the sn=
ow below the roof.<br>

&gt;<br>
&gt; =A0 I have the remains. I am happy to preserve and send it along to th=
e appropriate people if desired. I have delivered remains of other animals =
to Acadia&#39;s biology department before but not sure who/where this may b=
e wanted. Any ideas?<br>

&gt;<br>
&gt; =A0 Ian McKay<br>
&gt; =A0 Scots Bay<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; --<br>
&gt; Helene Van Doninck DVM<br>
&gt; Cobequid Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre<br>
&gt; RR#1 Brookfield NS B0N1C0<br>
&gt; 902-893-0253<b=
r>
&gt; birdvet@hotmail.com<br>