[NatureNS] Movie trailer on the Laysan Albatross

Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 14:22:34 -0400
From: Helene Van Doninck <helene.birdvet@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--e0cb4efe342e0f948104d40ce5ed

Hi Eleanor, they are frequently seen  quite happily in coastal areas ( ask
anyone in Newfoundland) , so I'm happy to put them in the ocean wherever I
can find it at this time of year. That being said, a beach with huge swells
wouldn't be the best choice as it might be hard in a weakened state for
them to fight that. These bird DO brave the North Atlantic every day so if
they are in good shape ( which many of them are) , they can handle a bit of
a voyage. If there are opportunities to get them into the deep ocean ASAP
by boat ( i.e with help from a friendly fisherman!)...great..but I think
the negatives of keeping them in captivity for extended periods ( and
subsequent damage to their waterproofing), far outweigh the benefits of
getting them back to the ocean ASAP. It is unfortunately part of their
natural history that some that beach are poor doers who beached themselves
on purpose and won't survive no matter what..if they are thin and weak I
don't return them to the ocean and these ones often die within 24 hours of
admission. However, when  it's a weather phenomenon causing many to strand,
I am happy to immediately return those in good condition to the calmest
seas I can find. Many of them instantly start foraging activity, putting
their head under scanning, and diving..to come up again far away from where
they dove. I truly feel those will be fine.

Long answer to a complex issue :) and my 2 cents !

Helene

--
Helene Van Doninck DVM
Cobequid Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre

--e0cb4efe342e0f948104d40ce5ed

Hi Eleanor, they are frequently seen =A0quite happily in coastal areas ( as=
k anyone in Newfoundland) , so I&#39;m happy to put them in the ocean where=
ver I can find it at this time of year. That being said, a beach with huge =
swells wouldn&#39;t be the best choice as it might be hard in a weakened st=
ate for them to fight that. These bird DO brave the North Atlantic every da=
y so if they are in good shape ( which many of them are) , they can handle =
a bit of a voyage. If there are opportunities to get them into the deep oce=
an ASAP by boat ( i.e with help from a friendly fisherman!)...great..but I =
think the negatives of keeping them in captivity for extended periods ( and=
 subsequent damage to their waterproofing), far outweigh the benefits of ge=
tting them back to the ocean ASAP. It is unfortunately part of their natura=
l history that some that beach are poor doers who beached themselves on pur=
pose and won&#39;t survive no matter what..if they are thin and weak I don&=
#39;t return them to the ocean and these ones often die within 24 hours of =
admission. However, when =A0it&#39;s a weather phenomenon causing many to s=
trand, I am happy to immediately return those in good condition to the calm=
est seas I can find. Many of them instantly start foraging activity, puttin=
g their head under scanning, and diving..to come up again far away from whe=
re they dove. I truly feel those will be fine.=A0<div>
anor Lindsay <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:kelindsay@eastlink.ca"=
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
 =20
   =20
 =20
;
    we have so much to answer for.<br>
    On a completely different matter I have been thinking of asking your
    advice concerning managing the endless problem of beached dovekies;
    a resident in my St Margarets Bay area mentioned that her vet is
    saying that it is essential for them to be returned far out to sea
    and away from the coastline - which essentially results in their not
    being taken to the water and dying. Is this correct? -It wasn&#39;t my
    impression. If it is not correct I don&#39;t know how much weight I can
    carry walking as as an unknown stranger into the three local animal
    hospitals with this information - is there any official
    document/guideline from a recognised source to this effect? and if
    there is, how does one get it for circulation? I would be happy to
    do the circulating if necessary.<span class=3D"HOEnZb"><font color=3D"#=
888888"><br>
    Eleanor Lindsay<br>
      Doninck wrote:<br>
      <pre>An intensely beautiful but sobering movie trailer about the effe=
cts of
plastic on the Laysan Albatross

ilm.com/</a>

Helene

</pre>

oninck DVM<br>Cobequid Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre<br>RR#1 Brookfield NS=
 B0N1C0<br>902-893-0253<br><a href=3D"mailto:birdvet@hotmail.com" target=3D=
"_blank">birdvet@hotmail.com</a><br>
www.cwrc.net<br>

--e0cb4efe342e0f948104d40ce5ed--