[NatureNS] Some of the birds today

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 02:18:31 +0000

--_373fc082-2341-499c-a865-e179160ed5b6_

A number of individuals do not like to see every bird seen within specific areas, so I will give an abbreviated version of some of the birds that I saw today.  I worked hard to come up with 37 species.  Most areas were frozen in solid with ice.

Oakhill/Dayspring, Lunenburg, CA-NS
Jan 26, 2013 3:45 PM - 4:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 kilometer(s)
5 species

Bald Eagle 1 (This is one of a pair of adults which have nested at the border of Bridgewater near the power corp building and by the sewage treatment plant for many years now).  I noticed the adult coming into the area of the old nest last week.  I assumed that they would be using the same nest as last year as the nest is in perfect condition and looked like it had been prepared.  Jill Comolli yesterday noticed that the two adults were at a new nest that they had built.  It is much better secured then the old nest and is about 50 feet from the nest of the past two or three years.  This nest is a little further away from the road.  The one adult was perched near the new nest.

Riverport, Lunenburg, CA-NS
Jan 26, 2013 3:00 PM - 3:03 PM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 kilometer(s)
5 species

Belted Kingfisher 1

Bayport, Lunenburg, CA-NS
Jan 26, 2013 2:40 PM - 2:50 PM
Protocol: Traveling
2.7 kilometer(s)
11 species

American Black Duck 30
Mallard 5
Greater Scaup 201 (Very iced in with just a few open water areas, distant and closer to Feltzen South.  No easy access for viewing, other than through a scope on the Bayport side.  No sign of the redhead with the group)
Common Goldeneye 280
Hooded Merganser 2
Red-breasted Merganser 10
Bald Eagle 1 Adult

Lunenburg, Lunenburg, CA-NS
Jan 26, 2013 12:35 PM - 2:15 PM
Protocol: Traveling
9.7 kilometer(s)
27 species

American Wigeon 3
Red-tailed Hawk 2
Lesser Black-backed Gull 1 (seen in flight briefly as I came out at the end of Kissing Bridge Road.  Note there are two Kissing Bridge Roads in Lunenburg.  This one is actually labeled with the name and continues up over the hill past the Academy.  I saw the bird at the end of the First Peninsula Road by as it flew out of Back Harbour.  I later saw it again.  I'm assuming the same bird by Highliner Foods.  Again in flight.  Likely the same bird spotted by Fulton Lavender on the Lun. Christmas Bird Count in Garden Lots.
Northern Flicker 5 (By Highliner Foods)
American Robin 1 (a week ago roughly 200 were seen by Sylvia Fullerton and Shirley Cohrs near Kissing Bridge Road and the Back Harbour Trail)
Yellow-rumped Warbler 5 ( By Highliner Foods)
Song Sparrow 11 (Most along Kissing Bridge Road)
Northern Cardinal 5 (1 M and 4 F).  I had another male in Mahone Bay as well today.

James R. Hirtle
Bridgewater

--_373fc082-2341-499c-a865-e179160ed5b6_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px;
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt;
font-family:Tahoma
}
--></style></head>
<FONT size=4>A number of individuals do not like to see every bird seen within specific areas, so I will give an abbreviated version of some of the birds that I saw today.&nbsp; I worked hard to come up with 37 species.&nbsp; Most areas were frozen in solid with ice.&nbsp; </FONT><BR>
<FONT size=4></FONT>&nbsp;<BR>
Oakhill/Dayspring, Lunenburg, CA-NS<BR>Jan 26, 2013 3:45 PM - 4:00 PM<BR>Protocol: Traveling<BR>1.0 kilometer(s)<BR>5 species<BR><BR>Bald Eagle 1 (This is one of a pair of adults which have nested at the border of Bridgewater near the power corp building and by the sewage treatment plant for many years now).&nbsp; I noticed the adult coming into the area of the old nest last week.&nbsp; I assumed that they would be using the same nest as last year as the nest is in perfect condition and looked like it had been prepared.&nbsp; Jill Comolli yesterday noticed that the two adults were at a new nest that they had built.&nbsp; It is much better secured then the old nest and is about 50 feet from the nest of the past two or three years.&nbsp; This nest is a little further away from the road.&nbsp; The one adult was perched near the new nest.&nbsp; <BR><BR>
Riverport, Lunenburg, CA-NS<BR>Jan 26, 2013 3:00 PM - 3:03 PM<BR>Protocol: Traveling<BR>1.0 kilometer(s)<BR>5 species<BR><BR>Belted Kingfisher 1<BR><BR>
Bayport, Lunenburg, CA-NS<BR>Jan 26, 2013 2:40 PM - 2:50 PM<BR>Protocol: Traveling<BR>2.7 kilometer(s)<BR>11 species<BR><BR>American Black Duck 30<BR>Mallard 5<BR>Greater Scaup 201 (Very iced in with just a few open water areas, distant and closer to Feltzen South.&nbsp; No easy access for viewing, other than through a scope on the Bayport side.&nbsp; No sign of the redhead with the group)<BR>Common Goldeneye 280<BR>Hooded Merganser 2<BR>Red-breasted Merganser 10<BR>Bald Eagle 1 Adult<BR><FONT size=2> <BR></FONT>
Lunenburg, Lunenburg, CA-NS<BR>Jan 26, 2013 12:35 PM - 2:15 PM<BR>Protocol: Traveling<BR>9.7 kilometer(s)<BR>27 species<BR><BR>American Wigeon 3<BR>Red-tailed Hawk 2<BR>Lesser Black-backed Gull 1 (seen in flight briefly as I came out at the end of Kissing Bridge Road.&nbsp; Note there are two Kissing Bridge Roads in Lunenburg.&nbsp; This one is actually labeled with the name and continues up over the hill past the Academy.&nbsp; I saw the bird at the end of the First Peninsula Road by as it flew out of Back Harbour.&nbsp; I later saw it again.&nbsp; I'm assuming the same bird by Highliner Foods.&nbsp; Again in flight.&nbsp; Likely the same bird spotted by Fulton Lavender on the Lun. Christmas Bird Count in Garden Lots.&nbsp; <BR>
Northern Flicker 5 (By Highliner Foods)<BR>American Robin 1 (a week ago roughly 200 were seen by Sylvia Fullerton and Shirley Cohrs near Kissing Bridge Road and the Back Harbour Trail)<BR>Yellow-rumped Warbler 5 ( By Highliner Foods)<BR>Song Sparrow 11 (Most along Kissing Bridge Road)<BR>Northern Cardinal&nbsp;5 (1 M and&nbsp;4 F).&nbsp; I had another male in Mahone Bay as well today.&nbsp; <BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Bridgewater<BR><BR><FONT size=2>
 <BR>
 <BR></FONT> 		 	   		  </div></body>
--_373fc082-2341-499c-a865-e179160ed5b6_--