[NatureNS] 22ND ANNUAL EAGLE WATCH report -- c. mergansers, redpolls, etc.

From: ulli@dunlin.ca
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 12:17:11 -0400

a couple of goldfinches.&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/div&gt;&lt;div style=3D"
Just wanted to add some more info to Jim's report.

As in previous years a small group of us went to the Eagle Watch feeding site at the end of
M.Dyke Road to taken even more photos.
.
We arrived ~8:30 and there were only few cars and people present in comparisson to
previous years. Some folks came down from Toronto for Eagle Watch.  Maybe the cold and
snowy weather of the previous days had a discouraging effect.  I guess it will be a different
story today.

There were ~30 Eagles perched in the trees when the chicken express showed up to deliver
breakfast for the eagles just before 9.
Depsite that the chickens were dropped much closer to the crowd than in previous years it
took only a short time before the eagles started feeding.  The first spur of activity lasted for
~20 minutes, with a second round of feeding about 40 minutes later when a tour bus showed
up (not that I think that had anything to do with it).
Arround 11 a second load of chicken was delivered.
We packed it up around 11:20, but good to hear that there was some more action later on.

Positively noted that signage had been put up with some info and a plea to stay off farm
properties and fields.  Personaly I would put some red tape up as a visual barrier to keep
folks from wandering in the field and on the boardering property.

Cheers

Ulli