[NatureNS] robins, Wolfville, eating barberry? berries,

Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 23:19:37 -0400
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: "P.L. Chalmers" <plchalmers@ns.sympatico.ca>

--=====================_995796==.ALT

Jim, the robins must be really hungry.  I have observed that barberry
fruits are rarely eaten.

         Patricia L. Chalmers
         Halifax

>>From: "James W. Wolford"
>><<mailto:jimwolford@eastlink.ca>jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
>>Date: January 28, 2013 2:55:34 PM AST
>>To: Nature BNS
>><<mailto:nature@blomidonnaturalists.ca>nature@blomidonnaturalists.ca>
>>Subject: [ValleyNature] robins, Wolfville, eating barberry? berries, etc.
>>
>>JAN. 28, 2013 - Jake MacDonald phoned to say he counted 22 robins
>>eating red berries in a hedge, probably of barberry?, off lower
>>Maple Ave. in Wolfville (just south of Kenny's Market property, I think).
>>
>>In our yard we again saw a couple of goldfinches and a single
>>common redpoll; the goldfinches were on one of the sunflower seed
>>feeders.  Every day we have at least 2 cardinals and up to 3
>>flickers.  Today there was also a hairy woodpecker, plus the
>>juncos, white-throated sparrows, song sparrows, mourning
>>doves,  starlings, and another red squirrel (but no rats).
>>
>>Concerning the latter mammals, I'm happy that our neighbourhood
>>red-tailed hawk often chooses to perch at the top of a pine the
>>yard next-door to ours.
>>
>>Cheers from Jim in Wolfville.

--=====================_995796==.ALT

that barberry fruits are rarely eaten. <br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Patricia
L. Chalmers<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Halifax<br>
&nbsp;<br>
Wolford&quot;
&lt;jimwolford@eastlink.ca
&gt;<br>
<b>To: </b>Nature BNS
&lt;<a href="mailto:nature@blomidonnaturalists.ca">
nature@blomidonnaturalists.ca</a>&gt;<br>
<b>Subject: [ValleyNature] robins, Wolfville, eating barberry? berries,
etc.<br>
MacDonald phoned to say he counted 22<b> robins</b> eating red berries in
a hedge, probably of barberry?, off lower Maple Ave. in Wolfville (just
south of Kenny's Market property, I think).<br><br>
In our yard we again saw a couple of<b> goldfinches</b> and a single
<b>common redpoll;</b> the goldfinches were on one of the sunflower seed
feeders.&nbsp; Every day we have at least 2 <b>cardinals</b> and up to
plus the<b> juncos, white-throated sparrows, song sparrows, mourning
doves,&nbsp; starlings, and another red squirrel (but no
Concerning the latter mammals, I'm happy that our neighbourhood
<b>red-tailed hawk</b> often chooses to perch at the top of a pine the
yard next-door to ours.<br><br>
Cheers from Jim in Wolfville.<br>
Nature mailing list<br>
Nature@blomidonnaturalists.ca</a><br>