[NatureNS] Carolina Wren, LBB Gull, Razorbill - Monday Jan 28 2013

From: "Elizabeth Doull" <edoull@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 12:06:01 -0400

Monday  January 28, 2013

I decided to try again this morning.  BOTH red and white breasted nuthatches
went to the suet at the same time a few times (at House 320)!   An almost
white dove with a small black patch was in a small flock of rock pigeons
flying back
and forth between two feeders and sometimes at the farm.

After two hours, I was quite chilly so I retreated to my car which was
warmed
up by the sun.  Parked where I could see the suets at House 331 and the
little/narrow alley between the tangle and the yellow garage at House 334.
That was where several birders found the wren in recent weeks.

After 30 minutes of patience, the Carolina wren showed up in the "alley". It
was foraging for insects on the ground and disappeared beneath a pile of oak
leaves and repeated that search a few times.  Really good, long looks at it
in
excellent lighting.

Headed back to Halifax, but made a detour to Bedford to see if I could find
Lois Codling's Lesser Black backed gull. Visited the Devoe Park and found
hundreds of gulls either resting on the ice or swimming in the open water
off
the Devoe Park.  Managed to find the LBBG. The razorbill was in the same
scope view!!  A bonus. I was positive after noticing its face, stubby and
thick bill
and turned up tail.  The time was after 4:15 pm.

Cheers,
Liz