[NatureNS] Return of the Indigo Bunting

From: "Eric L. Mills" <e.mills@dal.ca>
To: ns-rba@yahoogroups.com, naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2013 09:24:35 -0400

The imm. male Indigo Bunting that first appeared at our feeders in November was back
again this morning in the snow, in time for the depths of winter list, feeding aggressively
among Juncos, Chickadees, White-throats and Redpolls. It is showing increasing amounts
of blue, esp. on lesser coverts, upper breast, lower back and tail.

I am amazed at the hardiness of this little neotropical cardinalid. I was sure that the
prolonged deep freeze of the past weeks would do it in.

Eric L. Mills
286 Kingsburg Road,
RR#1, Rose Bay, NS B0J 2X)
Canada