[NatureNS] Tracks

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 19:03:19 -0400

Dear All,                     Feb 19, 2013
    This afternoon I went for a brief walk in the North Alton woodlot to
prepare for hauling salvaged Spruce/Fir/Hemlock firewood to the truck road
by toboggan.

    There were a fair number of animal tracks, probably made since
mid-morning or at least since the last snow. One mouse of some kind, 4-5
Squirrel (or 1 doing twists ?) especially thick near Apple trees, many
Snowshoe Hare (AKA Rabbit), no Deer, a prolonged series of faint usually
paired, back sloping, parallel striations also near the apple trees (I
suspect a Partridge, drunk on apple, and keeping somewhat airborne by
sweeping the snow with 1 or 2 wingtips)  and a fair number of Coyote tracks;
both loping west where I have seen C tracks on a similar route at least 5
times since Jan 1 and following Rabbit tracks. So I suspect at least two
Coyote there; one to move the Rabbit and one to intercept at the opportune
time.

    Disclaimer: I distinguish Dog and Coyote tracks by typical behavior not
by some second sight. Coyote, in my limited experience never run even when
in a hurry, just an energy-efficient lope and dogs nearly always run when in
the woods.

    Since last April, when working in the vicinity of the salvaged conifers,
I have seen a silent, very timid, Red Squirrel with unusually brown long
hairs; a dark flash along a Fir log in April and then last fall, after
several running glimpses, I had a good look before it ran off. There were no
Squirrel tracks in that area today.

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville