[NatureNS] Looking for advice on mason bees

From: Anne Woolaver <awoolave@hotmail.com>
To: Nature Nova Scotia <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 18:19:54 -0400

--_6cdeed6d-7b31-4fa3-bcf3-aee5e4dfbd13_

Hi all=2C
=20
For a present this last Christmas=2C his employees gave my boss a mason bee=
 house (the tear-drop shaped one from Vesey's)=2C in hopes of better pollin=
ation success for the cherry trees at his cottage in Wallace this year.  We=
 didn't=2C however=2C buy any cocoons to go with it (Vesey's does not sell =
them)=2C and I am now wondering whether that would have been a good idea.  =
Does anyone have any experience with these houses and their ability to attr=
act nesting females "from scratch" in the northwest of Nova Scotia?  How co=
mmon are mason bees in Nova Scotia=2C and how far do they disperse when the=
y emerge in spring?  Would they come out too early to be good cherry pollin=
ators?  The property itself would probably be relatively suitable for nesti=
ng (nearby water and mud)=2C although given the life cycle of this bee=2C i=
t might take a couple of years to build up a local population.  Any recomme=
ndations on possible suppliers of cocoons=2C ideally in eastern Canada?  Th=
e only ones I've been able to find online seem to be a couple outfits from =
BC.
=20
Thanks in advance for advice=2C insight!
=20
A. Woolaver 		 	   		  =

--_6cdeed6d-7b31-4fa3-bcf3-aee5e4dfbd13_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Tahoma
}
--></style></head>
Hi all=2C<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
For a present this last Christmas=2C his employees gave my boss&nbsp=3Ba ma=
son bee house (the tear-drop shaped one from Vesey's)=2C in hopes of better=
 pollination success for the&nbsp=3Bcherry trees at his cottage in Wallace&=
nbsp=3Bthis year.&nbsp=3B We didn't=2C&nbsp=3Bhowever=2C buy any cocoons to=
 go with it (Vesey's does not sell them)=2C and I am now wondering whether =
that would have been a good idea.&nbsp=3B Does anyone have any experience w=
ith these houses and their ability to attract nesting females "from scratch=
" in the northwest of Nova Scotia?&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3BHow common are mason bees=
 in Nova Scotia=2C and&nbsp=3Bhow far do they disperse when they emerge in =
spring?&nbsp=3B Would they come out too early to be good cherry pollinators=
?&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3BThe property itself would probably be relatively suitable =
for nesting&nbsp=3B(nearby water and mud)=2C although given the life cycle =
of this bee=2C it might take a couple of years to build up a local populati=
on.&nbsp=3B Any recommendations on possible suppliers of cocoons=2C ideally=
 in eastern Canada?&nbsp=3B The only ones I've been able to find online see=
m to be a couple outfits from BC.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Thanks in advance for advice=2C insight!<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
A. Woolaver<BR> 		 	   		  </div></body>

--_6cdeed6d-7b31-4fa3-bcf3-aee5e4dfbd13_--