[NatureNS] Shrike, waxwings in HRM

From: Andrew Horn <aghorn@dal.ca>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 15:19:30 -0400
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Ken et al,

Nice story re the shrike. My friends were treated to quite the sight, too, as the shrike persistently, but unsuccessfully, chased what they suspect was a kinglet.

Your question about how they carry their prey sent me to the species' Birds of North America account, where I found that to carry prey > 25 g, Northern Shrikes (weight ~65 g) will shift the prey from their bill to their feet. Incredibly enough, they've done so with birds as large as, in one case, a Stilt Sandpiper (55 g). (Another report, of a shrike carrying a pigeon (~350 g) for at least 50 m, is treated a bit skeptically.)

Pretty amazing,
Andy