[NatureNS] Bohemian Waxwings, Common Redpolls

Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 17:45:57 -0400
From: Dominic Cormier <dominic.cormier@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--bcaec55242167df06104d67f59f4

There were 61 Bohemian Waxwings in a tree alongside Connaught just up from
Jubilee that then flew right towards your house yesterday. I watched them
from under the tree for a good 10 minutes. It was great!

Dominic

On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 5:31 PM, P.L. Chalmers
<plchalmers@ns.sympatico.ca>wrote:

>  **         **I have been wondering recently if  a flock of Waxwings or
> Robins has appeared in the south-end neighbourhood I walk through on my way
> to work.  Ten days ago, while walking up Waegwoltic Avenue I noticed that
> the snow under several trees was liberally spattered with what looked like
> fallen fruits/bird droppings.  I assumed that a large flock of some birds
> which had been eating hawthorn fruits down on Conrose Field had perched in
> those trees; the buds of the trees themselves were unharmed.   On Tuesday
> 18 Feb.  I finally saw a small flock of about 15 Bohemian Waxwings, the
> first I had seen in almost exactly two years.  I haven't seen any since.
>
> **        **Common Redpolls are still around here in Halifax.  I saw
> about twenty at a feeder not far from home this morning.
>
> **        **Patricia L. Chalmers
> **        **Halifax
>
> **        **
>

> At 09:14 AM 24/02/2013, Andy Hornwrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> Yesterday afternoon, friends saw a Northern Shrike hunting near Susie's
> Lake (which is behind the Bayer's Lake Shopping Centre), and on Thursday,
> other friends had 30 Bohemian Waxwings in their backyard south of the
> Dalhousie campus.
>
> No exact locations on either, but worth keeping an eye out if you happen
> to be in those areas.

--bcaec55242167df06104d67f59f4

There were 61 Bohemian Waxwings in a tree alongside Connaught just up from =
Jubilee that then flew right towards your house yesterday. I watched them f=
rs <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:plchalmers@ns.sympatico.ca" targ=
te class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc so=
lid;padding-left:1ex">

=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0<u></u>I have been
wondering recently if=A0 a flock of Waxwings or Robins has appeared in
the south-end neighbourhood  I walk through on my way to work.=A0 Ten
days ago, while walking up Waegwoltic Avenue I noticed that the snow
under several trees was liberally spattered with what looked like fallen
fruits/bird droppings.=A0 I assumed that a large flock of some birds
which had been eating hawthorn fruits down on Conrose Field had perched
in those trees; the buds of the trees themselves were
unharmed.=A0=A0 On Tuesday 18 Feb.=A0 I finally saw a small
flock of about 15 Bohemian Waxwings, the first I had seen in almost
exactly two years.=A0 I haven&#39;t seen any since.<br><br>
Redpolls are still around here in Halifax.=A0 I saw about twenty at a
feeder not far from home this morning.<br><br>
L. Chalmers<br>
At 09:14 AM 24/02/2013, Andy Hornwrote:<br>
Yesterday afternoon, friends saw a Northern Shrike hunting near Susie&#39;s
Lake (which is behind the Bayer&#39;s Lake Shopping Centre), and on Thursda=
y,
other friends had 30 Bohemian Waxwings in their backyard south of the
Dalhousie campus.<br><br>
No exact locations on either, but worth keeping an eye out if you happen
to be in those areas.<br>

--bcaec55242167df06104d67f59f4--