[NatureNS] Lead poisoning talk at the NSBS Meeting this Thursday

Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 23:18:27 -0300
From: Helene Van Doninck <helene.birdvet@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--047d7b34335c6c209104d8ca89d7

Thanks Ken, and to Paul and Darrell, lead in any form in the food chain is
bad, be it from spent lead ammo or fishing tackle. Though most of my
discussion is about spent lead ammo ( most commonly ingested when eagles
eat gut piles left behind in the field), I do talk about lead based fishing
gear too. Lead is lead is lead..in any form..and really has no safe place
in the food chain of wildlife or people. Come to my talk on Thurs if you
can, I welcome any and all questions!

Helene

--
Helene Van Doninck DVM
Cobequid Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre

--047d7b34335c6c209104d8ca89d7

Thanks Ken, and to Paul and Darrell, lead in any form in the food chain is =
bad, be it from spent lead ammo or fishing tackle. Though most of my discus=
sion is about spent lead ammo ( most commonly ingested when eagles eat gut =
piles left behind in the field), I do talk about lead based fishing gear to=
o. Lead is lead is lead..in any form..and really has no safe place in the f=
ood chain of wildlife or people. Come to my talk on Thurs if you can, I wel=
come any and all questions!<div>
3 at 5:01 PM,  <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:darrell@abolitphotos=
ockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #=
ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
><em>I agree with Paul and will give you more
information regarding such. Most trout/smallmouth/pickerel=A0fisherman do n=
ot use
weight or very little but striped bass fishermen use tons of it. The Shubie
river must be full, they use bought=A0or many use=A0homemaded poured lead w=
eights
to keep their bait on bottom. Much larger and/or more plentiful=A0and appar=
ently
too expensive to buy nontoxic. I would think eagles and osprey would=A0eat =
a lot
of striped bass. I would ban all lead fishing weights, pronto, not just for=
 the
eagles etc but for ourselves and the health our of waterways.</em></span></=
div>
changed</div>
oninck DVM<br>Cobequid Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre<br>RR#1 Brookfield NS=
 B0N1C0<br>902-893-0253<br><a href=3D"mailto:birdvet@hotmail.com" target=3D=
"_blank">birdvet@hotmail.com</a><br>
www.cwrc.net<br>

--047d7b34335c6c209104d8ca89d7--