[NatureNS] common Redpolls

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 14:16:42 -0300

What a treat it was!! In my earlier email update, I mentioned the Redpolls
were arriving and they just kept coming and coming!! Easily 150 to 200 at
one point. I tried to get photos of them in the beginning but got tangled up
in cooking and simply couldn't drop what I was working on.
Must say the excitement while I was kneading the hot cross buns didn't do
the dough any good at all. ;?(   but what will be will be. The trees were
full,  the lawn was crawling and the feeders were buried. They came and went
for about 2 hours and for the last hour or so not one so........amongst that
group were American Tree Sparrows and a solitary Goldfinch. There may have
been one Hoary, I kept loosing sight of it and had other things to attend.
Back in 1987/88 I lived in Hunts Point and we had a lot of snow. I think
that was the year. There were common Redpolls and Hoarys in separate groups
as well as mixes. Somewhere I have some photos.....then we didn't see but a
smattering with long periods of time between. Today was the most I have ever
seen.
Best regards,
Marg in White Point, Queens
http://MargMillard.ca