[NatureNS] Crested Caracara update?

From: Andrew Horn <aghorn@dal.ca>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2013 18:04:52 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Chris et al.,

I'm sure others will chime in, as I'm no expert on this bird's movements, but ...

1. The deer carcass, of which very little is left, is/was on the lakeshore opposite the first entry to the Lawrencetown Beach parking lot (after you've come down the hill from the surf shop). Its location is helpfully marked with stakes.

2. The place where so many (including CBC) saw the bird is opposite the _last_ entry to the parking lot. Look hard at the conifer- and deadwood-covered islets in the marsh, and you might spot it lurking there.

3. Standing near the surf shop's parking lot, where you get a good view both of the near lake and Conrad Beach opposite, seems like a long shot, but it does give you a wide-angle view, and it worked for me (briefly) this morning (a tip I thank Clarence Stevens Jr for).

4. Others have seen by walking the railroad tracks south/westward from the first Lawrencetown Beach parking lot, or by walking in to the gravel pit that's opposite the surf shop. These also seem like long shots (and have limited fields of view), but they've worked for some.

[Pat's email came in as I was composing this one. Much the same thing happened late this AM she reports for the PM, so don't give up too readily (as I almost did).]

I was very surprised at how mobile and swift this bird was. I burned a lot of carbon trying all the above spots (and also scanning more distant islands where it's also been seen), and yet the best strategy seemed to be a stake-out at the beach parking lot. But I honestly have no clue what'll work best.

Good luck,
Andy